Not open for further replies.
I have an inter 3.4 Ghz HT processor on an ASUS p5gdc-v Deluxe board
2048 MB DDR ram + 2 slots for DDR2
Nvidea Gforce pcx 5900 256mb
dual 75gig seagate sata HD
Currently clocked at 3.41 Ghz
XP pro
I have a good cooling setup, 6 fans with excellent airflow

Its pretty much just been built, not much has been done for overclocking or tweaking for performance.

I was wondering how high the Pentium 4 HT 3.40 Ghz processor could be clocked?

Also if anyone knows of any performance tweaks they would recommend to get some better performance out of the PC without upgrading any major hardware.

Thanks in advance.

You can rarily put "overclock" and "safely" in the same sentence. I'm pretty sure the multiplier is locked on that processor, will have to increase fsb in the bios menu, every processor is just a little bit different, weird but true. You would have to do the overclocking to find out what is "safe"

guess I shoulda left safe outa there. Im keeping a close watch on HD and CPU temps. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas I havent thought of. And its not locked.

you could increase the multiplier by 1 or 2, I imagine that you will get a temp of 3-5C per + on the multiplier. So increase it once and run the pc, see what temps are.

Depends on the cooling. With air, probably around 4 GHz. The power consumption with those CPUs goes quite high when overclocked.

I'm pretty sure he's running air, and I dont see it running at stable temps at 4Ghz, most c2duos cant even do that with smaller architecture and less heat per watt

Core 2 isn't comparable to P4 in that kind of overclocking. You'd only need to overclock 600 MHz, ie. ~18%. E6600, for example, would require 67% overclocking.

Do you have a stock or custom CPU fan, generally and P4 will need a custom fan for overclocking. I use a custom fan for my 3.00ghz just to keep it cool when playing games. ;)

Hi, you get any bench marks on your computer before you oc it? It might be wise to see if your computer is even running at what it should be:) Mine is running at 6213 with this 3dmark2005,So compare it.Mine is a 2.4p4 but oc at 3.6:) Just a word of the wise.

assuming its a 650, not a 550, and your board can handle the overclocking as well as your ram 20% would be possible, i have a similar setup, asus P5P800 mobo, P4 630 running at 3.6Ghz normal speed is 3.0Ghz, I increased the FSB to 240 but asus boards have the AI overcloking feature that do most of the work for you, start off with 5% then work your way up until you can't go any further and be sure to watch your temps 42c idle is warm.

Being an AMD junkie your high frequencies are almost embarassing to me, but in my experience, changing the FSB is much less reliable than multiplying, but works okay if your memory handles it.
The multiplier on my 3800 is locked, so I experiment with the FSB. As I see it, anywhere from a 15MHz jump on the FSB will get a 3800+ about .2GHz, probably a little less for Intel. So to see anything more substantial than 3.4GHz, you would have to throw on about 30MHz, which could destabilize your memory. FSB is tricky business. If I have one word of advice it's to fiddle with the BIOS, and don't use a lot of software OC utilities.

If the multiplyer isn't locked then raise it by one to eighteen and see what happens. 3.6 GHz probably won't hurt your machine in the short term.

Cinders said:
If the multiplyer isn't locked then raise it by one to eighteen and see what happens. 3.6 GHz probably won't hurt your machine in the short term.
in short term but wat in long term......i have a Pentium D 2.8ghz. i wante dto overclock it at 3.15 with stock coolings.shud i do so? at 2.8ghz temps r 36 C IDLE and 55-60 Load..

Just as a not all Intel CPU's except the extreme edition have locked multipliers so the only way to increase speed is via the FSB, and as far as shortening the life of a particular processor by the time it dies it won't be worth anything, I have an old copper mine which has been running over clocked for 5 years and it still runs fine, barely use it so if it died I could care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back