Intel and HP find oldest working PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Dutch company PHI DATA yesterday received a prize from Intel, HP and Dutch IT weekly Computable for still owning and operating a vintage IBM 5160 (Intel 8088) computer from 1983. PHI Data uses the IBM to test matrix printers. It is now officialy the oldest obsolete-yet-active PC in the Low Countries.

HP and Intel started the contest to show that companies should keep current with their technology needs. Because of the recession ,most companies haven't upgraded their systems since 1999. The contest was attended by more than 70 companies. One company claimed it was still doing accounting on an old eighties PC.

Read more: The Register.

Thats not so amazing, I have an Epson from around that same era, works perfectly. Also have a C-64 in perfect condition. I have an Altair as well but it hasn't worked in years :(

Originally posted by StormBringer
Thats not so amazing, I have an Epson from around that same era, works perfectly. Also have a C-64 in perfect condition. I have an Altair as well but it hasn't worked in years :(

Yeah, but you're not still using it are you? ;)

I have seen a number of computers older than that, although I suppose they aren't PCs. :)

Just recently sold a Commodore pet that worked. Manufacture date? 1974. Oh yeah!

Originally posted by Vehementi
Yeah, but you're not still using it are you? ;)
As matter of fact, the Epson and Comadore both are used from time to time, the comadore more so than the Epson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back