Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Late last year Intel unveiled the world’s first quad-core desktop processor, stealing a bit of thunder from the amazing Core 2 Duo range. For a whopping $999, the new Core 2 Extreme processor would become Intel's new flagship product.

Although the Core 2 Duo remained the best value choice for most desktop users, the technological achievement was nonetheless there as AMD had - and in a way still is - without a proper answer.

The new Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 processor we are testing today is the first Core 2 product to hit the magical 3.0GHz marker, and it is doing it not with two but rather four cores (dual 4MB L2 cache). Also new for the Core microarchitecture is a bumped up front side bus which has been taken to 333MHz QDR (Quad Data Rate – 1333MHz), whereas previous Core 2 processors all used a 1066MHz FSB.

https://www.techspot.com/review/59-intel-core2-extreme-qx6850/

Please leave your feedback here. Thanks!

Im just curious, how does Techspot get the money to buy all this great stuff to review?

And what happens to it after?

[-Steve-] said:
We cook eggs on it :)

:haha: AhahahA :haha:

Good to see Intel still moving up the hertz on the C2D's, but I'm not impressed with the results nor the price. Whats the the energy consumption and heat dissipation?

???????..........

_FAKE_ said:
:haha: AhahahA :haha:

Good to see Intel still moving up the hertz on the C2D's, but I'm not impressed with the results nor the price. Whats the the energy consumption and heat dissipation?

Just out of curiosity, what exactly would it take to impress you?

The perfect chip:
Its free, it performs anything you ask of it in <1sec, consumes no power at all.

Oh yeah, its also infinitely overclockable.

Dear CMH.....

In a rare oversight on your part, in seems you have forgotten the matching free mobile version and the $25.00 Instant rebate

Ok so what's the big deal about this thing really? Ok its 1333 fsb which is cool I guess. But can't you just take any of the other quads and put them to 1333 and get the same result. Plus doesn't the high fsb leave less room for overclocking, unless you buy one of those p35/p5k boards, that can be overclocked to 1900fsb+. I'm actually thinking about grabbing a p5k deluxe as we speak, but the cpu doesnt look to impressive comparing to what's alread on the market.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Computer........

CMH said:
I wonder if you caught my little joke about infinite overclockability.

Is that anything like the "Infinite improbability drive"?

_FAKE_ said:
... but I'm not impressed with the results nor the price. Whats the the energy consumption and heat dissipation?

Well the Thermal Design Power is 130w, though under load I estimate that is uses 13% more power than the QX6800 and about 62% more power than the Core 2 Duo E6700.

Mirob I can't tell you how much eggs suck without bacon and as cheap as bacon is becoming these days, I still cannot afford bacon just to have with my eggs.

Missing the spirit of the season.....

Mirob said:
If I was going to spend $999 on a processor this would be my Christmass present.

First WTF is "Christmass"?
Should you consider using these as stocking stuffers for the rest of us, Intel would give you a much lower price on a thousand. Feliz Navidad! That would be a whole pinata full!

captaincranky said:
Just out of curiosity, what exactly would it take to impress you?

I was quite impressed by the C2D's when I first saw there performance against AMD's CPU's. But this Q6850 just doesn't impress me when it comes to performance/price ratio compared to other C2D's.

supersmashbrada said:
Ok so what's the big deal about this thing really? Ok its 1333 fsb which is cool I guess. But can't you just take any of the other quads and put them to 1333 and get the same result. Plus doesn't the high fsb leave less room for overclocking, unless you buy one of those p35/p5k boards, that can be overclocked to 1900fsb+. I'm actually thinking about grabbing a p5k deluxe as we speak, but the cpu doesnt look to impressive comparing to what's alread on the market.

Judging by what I've seen with the benchmarks from the Q6850, it doesn't seem like the higher FSB is playing much of a big part when it comes to performance. You are getting a 12%? performance increase which most of it is probably due to its being higher clocked (3GHz) speed. This isn't exactly showing high hopes for Penryn which a lot of people are craving over because of its 1333FSB.

Today Is July 22, ......!! Now What...?

I'm wondering if this new stuff will appear on Newegg's shelves in the overnight or remain legend for a time yet. Intel hasn't even updated their board/chipset compatibility charts for the 1333 FSB CPUs, or for that matter the new E4500 which is only 800Mhz FSB. Just a bunch of N/As next to where it tells you what board to use with the new processors. Sort of frustrating actually, Intel is saying the processors do/will exist but won't tell you what you can do with them. (Other than buy them eventually). I sort of don't do waiting real well, and have gotten used to the rhythm of "New Release Tuesday", which always seems to happen on Tuesdays. You go to bed Monday night, and when you get up, eat breakfast, and go to Blockbuster, lo and behold the new movies are on the shelf. Now there's tangible, immediate infantile gratification. Some of us are at least as rabid as Harry Potter fans. Shouldn't we be provided with the opportunity to dress up like Best Buy Geek Squad Reps, sleep next to our computers, mouse in hand, waiting for the product to drop?

Any nForce 600 series board or Intel P35 board will support the new 1333MHz FSB processors.

Are They.....

Backwards compatible to run in the 1066FSB boards? Obviously at the lower FSB speed. Or are all our 965/975 chipsets now obsolete?

most Asus boards have bios updates to support 1333, but the problem I see is that overclocking will be a pain. For instance my mobo can get 1420 fsb at most. Not a very good overclock, maybe 35% boost from the native settings. So if the bios updates come, will my board still only overclock to 1420. That would suck right? I'd get what? Maybe 5-10% boost.

Slightly Off Topic, But Pertinent......

The latest price for the Q6600 at Newegg is $375.00. This seems more than a little opportunistic, since 24 hours (or so) ago it was $299.95.

Back