Intel D915PBL Motherboard question/issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

This is my first homebuilt rig. I have an Intel D915PBL motherboard with a 3.0 processor. I've been very pleased with the motherboard, except for one nagging problem that has me a bit concerned.

As this processor runs hot for me, I want to use Intel Desktop Utilities to monitor the temperature of my system. I had it all installed and everything was up and running, and then I started getting an error message that said:

"Connection to hardware sensors failed. Click YES to restart application, or click NO to close application. If problem persists after restart, please reboot your system."

I only get it every once in a while when I have the desktop utilities open, but it is kind of annoying. So, I started to look into it a bit more. The name of the service that runs the hardware checking is IDUServ.EXE. I looked in the event viewer and noticed that there were several instances where it was starting and stopping. So, I rebooted and watched for it in task manager. Sure enough, when first booting, it kept appearing and disappearing. After about five appearances/disappearances, it stays put, and the desktop utilities works. If I leave the utilities open though, every once in a while, the connection disappears again, though the service does not actually stop (as seen through the event viewer).

I contacted Intel, and they ran me through a bunch of hoops that didn't help one bit. Finally, they gave me instructions to follow for reformatting my machine, reinstalling my OS, the chipset driver utility, and other drivers. They said that with Intel boards, order of installation is extremely important. I followed their instructions to the letter. For a while, I had the exact same problem, then all of a sudden (and I'm really not sure why), the service stopped its starting and stopping. I still have problem with the desktop utilities program losing its connection every once in a while though. I only notice it when the desktop utilities is actually active. When the system tray is sitting there, I don't get any error messages, but I also don't know if it is actually monitoring my system.

I gave MBM 5 a try, but it didn't work with my board. I gave Everest a try, and it did work.

I've searched the internet from top to bottom, and I can't find any reference to the error message I'm getting. I also can't find much on IDUServ. Intel's tech support seems less than clueless about this. They're now recycling the instructions that gave me for uninstalling and reinstalling the OS.

Has anyone had any experiences with this issue or anything similar with this MB or any Intel MB? My biggest concern is that this is a hardware issue with the MB, and that it needs to be replaced. This MB is only about 2.5 weeks old. I don't want to have to take everything out again. I had a hell of a time getting the heat sink on correctly, and I would hate to have to go through that again.

I'd really appreciate any help I can get. Like I said, this has been a great MB so far, except for this issue.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It could just be that the software for the intel desktop utilities isn`t very good.

You said that the Everest programme works ok. Again this is a clue.

Maybe you should try the speedfan programme from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=337, and see how it performs.

If that also seems fine, then it`s got to be the intel programme itself.

If you aren`t having any problems with the system itself, then that`s a sign that everything is ok. What temps are you getting?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It could just be that the software for the intel desktop utilities isn`t very good.

You said that the Everest programme works ok. Again this is a clue.

Maybe you should try the speedfan programme from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=337, and see how it performs.

If that also seems fine, then it`s got to be the intel programme itself.

If you aren`t having any problems with the system itself, then that`s a sign that everything is ok. What temps are you getting?

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
Hey. Thanks for the response.

I'm getting 44 - 45 degrees idle, depending on the room temp. I guess that's not bad for a Prescott. I get up to 56 - 57 at full load, though I seldom run full load. Only when encoding video really.

I'll check out that program you suggest. Like I said, I really don't want this to be hardware related. I've been "building" this thing for more than two weeks now. I had to reapply the heatsink five times before I got decent temps out of it. Practice makes perfect, I guess... ;)

Thanks.

Speedfan seems to be working ok. One question though. Is there any way to set it up so that it fires off an alert when it goes over a set temp? I see that it writes to a log, but I couldn't find a way to get it to alert me if something goes wrong.

Usmaak I've built a little over 200 Intel systems using the D915PBL, D915GAGL and other 915 boards. I have to tell you, the Intel HW monitor is utter crap. Our Intel Sales rep even suggests we do not use it. We do not ship our machines with it installed. Don't even bother with it.

Usmaak said:
Thanks.

Speedfan seems to be working ok. One question though. Is there any way to set it up so that it fires off an alert when it goes over a set temp? I see that it writes to a log, but I couldn't find a way to get it to alert me if something goes wrong.

I`m not aware that such a feature exists in the Speedfan programme.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks so much you guys. I've been searching for exactly this information, and I feel much better about this situation now.

And I don't have to take apart my computer... Again... :bounce:

the thing about software monitoring is that it reads info off the SMBus (system management bus), AIDA32\Everest, MBM, Speedfan ect all pull thier figures from the same source as the BIOS gets it.

The accuracy of the measurement comes down to the chip
on my D915GUX and possibly your D915PBL thats the SMSC LPC47M182-NR, the thing about software is it can interpret those readings, for instance you can even add an offset by some number of degree in Motherboard Monitor. So the Intel Monitoring Utility might be doing that, whereas Speedfan may not.

there is a freeware ap that will ensure a terminating service gets restarted
Sustain
I had problems with a system service self terminating at random. I wrote this program to monitor and restart it when it died. Through command line parameters you can have it check for any program at any interval and run any program when not found. (Did that make sense?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back