Intel expected to hit 64-bit by end of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Intel expects to activate security features and 64-bit extensions within the Prescott core when it ships PC and server processors based on Prescott and the Grantsdale chipset in the second half of the year, Intel President and Chief Operating Officer Paul Otellini said during Intel's spring analyst meeting in New York this week.

Prescott supports the NX (no execute) feature that will prevent worms and viruses from executing dangerous code through the exploitation of buffer overflows, Otellini said during a Webcast of the event. Advanced Micro Devices' Athlon 64 and Opteron processors also come with this feature, which requires software support from the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, expected later this year.

Read more: PC World.

Finally

Thank goodness I have been wondering when Intel was going to begin shipments of the 64 bit, I'm lloking forward getting myself one with windows Vista in early 2007(if windows doesnt delay shipments again haha rightg??)

AMD

Was your reply necessary ? This thread is almost two years old & Intel have been shipping 64-bit chips for a while now.

Didou said:
Was your reply necessary ? This thread is almost two years old & Intel have been shipping 64-bit chips for a while now.

I'm sorry i didnt even look at the date when i replied, i just enterred this subdivision of the m,ain forum, and this was first on the list so I DIDNT REALIZE THAT IT WAS THIS OLD!

I read this thinking that they were going out of 64 bit and into 128bit processing..... and I was just thinking "WTF, didn't we just transition into 64bit?!??"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back