Intel job listing suggests 7nm chips pushed back by at least one year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel last year said in a job posting that it was looking for a CPU architect / researcher to spearhead the company’s research and development of processor cores and graphics processors to be built on its 7nm manufacturing process.

The post, first spotted by Ashraf Eassa from fool.com, said the products in question would arrive in the “2020 and beyond” timeframe. Eassa recently noticed, however, that Intel has published a revised version of the job listing that suggests Intel may be looking to milk its upcoming 10nm process longer than most initially expected.

In the updated listing, Intel says it is looking for someone to spearhead the research and advanced development of microprocessor cores in the 2022 and beyond timeframe. The microarchitecture and design of these advanced CPUs, the company says, will be aggressively co-optimized with Intel's sub-10nm technology nodes deep into the next decade.

On the surface, it indeed sounds like Intel may be pushing its 7nm chips out by a couple of years, from 2020 to 2022. As Eassa notes, it’s possible that Intel could instead be talking about 5nm technology in the new listing versus the 7nm it explicitly referenced in the original posting.

If that were the case, it seems unlikely that Intel would use the phrase “sub-10nm technology nodes” rather than something more fitting like “sub-7nm technology nodes.”

Permalink to story.

Either way this is good news for the enthusiast to pro gamer markets. nothing touches or even comes close to the performance of intel's core i7. I expect them to be the market leaders until maybe china develops some secret cpu that comes close to its performance. I am hearing rumors in the underground forums that china is developing something really good but hasnt come out yet

Either way this is good news for the enthusiast to pro gamer markets. nothing touches or even comes close to the performance of intel's core i7. I expect them to be the market leaders until maybe china develops some secret cpu that comes close to its performance. I am hearing rumors in the underground forums that china is developing something really good but hasnt come out yet
And by developing you mean "stealing" something really good, right?

And by developing you mean "stealing" something really good, right?
not really. you have to remember china has over a billion people and most are gifted in mathematics so its more likely you get engineers, physicists, biologists and any area heavily dominated by math. china right now has the fastest supercomputer for more than two years. so the talent is there to produce a cpu to compete with intel just not yet

Currently china is outperforming almost everyone else in most fields of science and technology. including satellite and telescopes to peep into the universe. they are really tapping their intelligence like a collective of their population. harnessing what has been there for a long while now.

The only other way to progress faster which I hope will be tried is that scientists combine an artificial intelligence with deep machine learning and accelerated by a quantum computer to research and design cpus. quantum computers and artificial intelligence should be applied to all areas of science to see if it really can be accelerated to make what took years develop in hours. and what took days to make it happen in seconds. then the human race will make significant progress. imagine reaching the moon from earth in one hour. then in 10minutes. can you even imagine the technology that would even make this possible.

Currently china is outperforming almost everyone else in most fields of science and technology. including satellite and telescopes to peep into the universe. they are really tapping their intelligence like a collective of their population. harnessing what has been there for a long while now.
so THATS why most of their "new" stuff seems like rip offs of western tech, why their "stealth" fighter that doesnt work looks almost exactly like a f-22, and why the chinese market pumps out tons of no name off shoots to popular western products. All that advancement had nothing to do with ripping off western technology, no sir-ee-bob.

so THATS why most of their "new" stuff seems like rip offs of western tech, why their "stealth" fighter that doesnt work looks almost exactly like a f-22, and why the chinese market pumps out tons of no name off shoots to popular western products. All that advancement had nothing to do with ripping off western technology, no sir-ee-bob.

The west is paying for all the work it delegated to the east. Japanese had no car industry, yet they managed to produce better cars forcing the western manufacturers to catch-up and compete. This race will be good wake up call and force the competition to be more productive.

The west is paying for all the work it delegated to the east. Japanese had no car industry, yet they managed to produce better cars forcing the western manufacturers to catch-up and compete. This race will be good wake up call and force the competition to be more productive.
if one country is too far in a competition the gap is harder to close. evolution of man makes sure that if your far ahead already you will keep winning despite someone elses effort to catch up

america is a place that inflates a products value for the pure sense of capitalizing on someone else. they put value on something just for vanity. but nowadays that is changing. other countries do the same once they realize they can capitalize on someones unguided desire to own a product

Back