Intel, Microsoft, HP, and Dell unite against proposed tariffs on Chinese imports

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? It’s not often that we see tech companies unite to take a stand against something, but Intel, HP, Microsoft, and Dell have joined forces to object to the Trump administration’s proposed tariffs on $300 billion of Chinese goods, which includes laptops and tablets.

As reported by Bloomberg, the four tech giants have submitted joint comments opposing the tariff escalation. They believe such actions would hurt consumers that purchase the goods and the industry as a whole, while failing to address China’s trade practices.

“The tariffs will harm U.S. technology leaders, hindering their ability to innovate and compete in a global marketplace,” the companies wrote in comments posted online.

The news comes just days after a study commissioned by the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) predicted US price rises for several electronic goods if the new tariffs are imposed. Laptops are thought to be one of the areas most affected, with the current national average price jumping from $622 to $742, partly because China accounts for 90 percent of total laptop/tablet imports.

The companies say it will be “cost-conscious customers” who are hit hardest by the tariffs, adding that at best, they would continue using older laptops without security features. At worst, the high prices would force these consumers to go without laptops altogether. “School districts, in particular, operate on fixed budgets that cannot accommodate substantial price increases,” the firms wrote. They added that the tariffs could also inhibit innovation, productivity, and job creation.

The government is hearing public comments on the proposed duties up until June 25.

In more optimistic news, Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping are set to meet at the G20 Summit in Japan next week in the hope of relaunching trade talks.

Permalink to story.

That's cool Intel, I'll just buy AMD, even with tariffs I will get more value anyways. Not sure how dell has so much b@lls tbh, there are many other computer manufactures out there, companies are going with lenovo now and the server market is Cisco's. So goodluck?
As far as Microsoft, alot of their OS support and engineering is in the US and INDIA anyways,

In other words, these companies are FOR the transfer of IP..? (the whole point of the "trade war")

Leveling the playing field with China has been long overdue, regardless of anyone's political slant. Someone had to start the process. With the savings in gas in my area I can easily save up $100 extra (over the course of several months or year) to pay for the "markup" on laptop (estimates suggest $120.00 will be the added cost effect from tariffs in the coming months/years for laptops). Let's be mindful that these companies can afford multi-million payouts and are multi-billion dollar companies, if they wanted, they could at least absorb *some* of these costs if they wanted to, but then the shareholders would have a fit...

Funny how Libs preach Trump is for the rich but the rich are the ones that are against Trump! If Obama did this he would be hailed " THE MAN THAT FIGHTS FOR THE AVERAGE AMERICAN" against the super rich business like the big bad meany man CEO's.

As I see it, this is disingenuous. To me these companies are a major part of the problem. They have off-shored manufacturing for years, have made hundreds of billions of dollars with crApple, alone, having $400+ billion in the bank. Even with this ridiculous amount of money in the bank, crApple, and others, leave their manufacturing in China, then P&M that these tariffs are going to affect consumers.

Come on! With $400+ billion in the bank that is at least $1,215 for every single American using an estimated population of 329 million.

And they still want more profit pushing the prices on their toys ever higher and ever out of the range of "cost-conscious customers," and now they want to blame tariffs for the problem to which they generously contribute? :facepalm:

As I see it, these companies do not care about consumers. All they care about is profit.

In other words, these companies are FOR the transfer of IP..? (the whole point of the "trade war")

Leveling the playing field with China has been long overdue, regardless of anyone's political slant. Someone had to start the process. With the savings in gas in my area I can easily save up $100 extra (over the course of several months or year) to pay for the "markup" on laptop (estimates suggest $120.00 will be the added cost effect from tariffs in the coming months/years for laptops). Let's be mindful that these companies can afford multi-million payouts and are multi-billion dollar companies, if they wanted, they could at least absorb *some* of these costs if they wanted to, but then the shareholders would have a fit...
As I see it, it is not China - it is GREED!

So the AVERAGE price of laptops will go up...because those companies who do the most business with China will be highly effected. What about those companies that already try to not do business with China? Won't this level the playing field for them and potentially introduce more competition? In the short term these giant companies might increase prices to make their shareholders happy, but if this levels the playing field for smaller tech companies I would hazard a guess it will be a win in the long run, even for average laptop prices.

Nobody like to paying tax. American like government services, but prefer someone else to pay the tax. American is strange but I somehow understanding

BECAUSE IT EATS INTO THEIR PROFITS! .... "Intel, Microsoft, HP, and Dell unite against proposed tariffs on Chinese imports" .... instead of MOVING out of Totalitarian and "Redder than Red" Communist China, these Greedy Companies put Profits ahead of Conscience.

Back