Intel(R) Celeron(R) or Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtopc

Ello all,
Can anyone tell me what would be best for my pc i have a Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2.40GHz current speed is 3200MHz. But i have a Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 2.26GHz just sitting there doing nothing. now i have been told that if i put the Pentium in my pc it would be better and faster is this true or not.

If your motherboard properly supports the Pentium 4 & if you can OC it to speeds close to 3.0GHz, it should be much better than the Celeron. It all depends on the Pentium 4 though, mostly which core it is based on (Northwood, Prescott, etc.).

Do you have any extra info on it ?

Didou said:
mostly which core it is based on (Northwood, Prescott, etc.)

I have no idea what core it is based on or how to find that out,
I know that the Pentium 4 came with my 1st pc which is a dell dimension 8200 if that is any help .
Is there a way for me to find out what core it is based on ?

this all depends on whether your motherboard supports the pentium 4, the P4 definitly has the advantage over the celeron while it cant handle a lot of multimedia it can certainly handle more than the celeron which is basically for LOW LOW LOW speed and system resource applications. check the socket of the P4 and then see if your mobo can support it. (u could prolly even call dell to see if it will suport it)

To figure out what core it has, go to www.cpuid.com and download CPU-Z. It gives you plenty of info about the cpu, mobo, and memory. Since the CPU is 2.26Ghz, it is probably a northwood.

It's almost guaranteed to be a Northwood... I don't think Prescotts come as slow as 2.26GHz.

If it is a Northwood, I used to have the exact same CPU, that is, a 2.26GHz Pentium 4 Northwood Socket 478. Mine overclocked to 2.72Ghz, but it wouldn't go higher than that. So you can expect around 2.7-2.8GHz out of it.

And it will be faster than the Celeron. A Celeron needs to have a clock speed (i.e. number of MHz/GHz) about 25-35% faster than a Pentium 4 for the two CPUs to have the same level of performance.

2.2-2.3 Northwood
2.4-2.7 Prescott

Think that's it.
Although I did get a s***ty E-machines once that had a Prescott running at 3.0 Flat. I guarantee you, it'll burn up soon.

If your comparing the Celeron vs. the Pentium if say they wern't overclocked to begin with the Pentium would win even though it's 140mhz less but because of the higher front bus cache, it would be in your best interest of perfromance to go ahead and overclock the Pentium since it is considered a higher model when compared to the Celeron regardless of the clock speed.

Northwood ran up to 3.4GHz.

And the Front Side Bus and Cache are totally unrelated. The cache is sort of like onboard incredibly high speed RAM, while the Front Side Bus (FSB) is the means of communication between the CPU and the rest of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back