Intel to target overclocking, modder market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Intel will make a big push into the overclocking realm when the Springdale P and Springdale G are introduced next year.
And the biggest surprise of all, according to the sources, will be a motherboard codenamed "Rapid City", which is likely to include an array of overclocking functions and come in a black PCB just to excite case modders out there. It apparently comes with ICH5, and so support for Serial ATA.

And the same sources claim Intel is also showing its ideas for a "new" kind of case to prevent build up of heat.

Read more: The Inq.

I thought Intel is already in the overclocking realm with those Northwoods that go from 1.6 to 2.6 aircooled. Is there something special about Springdales?

I suppose it won't only be about the product itself but some marketing targeted at overclockers and modders, too.

Ok I guess I missed something. Are the Springdales the next P4 cores?

I thought that I had read something a couple of months ago, that both Intel and AMD are going to start offering "unlocked" (i.e. the multiplier is unlocked) versions of their processors. These processors would be in retail packaging ONLY(they would not be available through OEM or bulk channels), and they would cost between US$50 - 100 more than the "locked" retail versions at the same clock speed.

I haven't heard anything like this before... perhaps I'm the one who missed something? ;)

Julio I don't think you did, I think the article I read was some kind of crule joke. The truth is that I know that I read the article about Intel and AMD offering unlocked processors but I haven't been able to find it sence :( . All I can remeber is that I linked to it from another site, and I could've sworn that site was [H]ardOCP, but I just don't remember and its been killing me for some time now. I am begining to feel like I'm insane, as it seems that I have been the only person, among my friends, that saw and read this article. And now you have confermed my worst fear, noboby on the internet saw it either :( .

hehe... sounds like some kind of rumour taken from The Inq, or perhaps you dreamed about it? :D

You know, it's kinda funny that you mentioned The Inq. I was just there(In yet another attempt to find the article in question) and even though I didn't find that, there was a nagging voice(Yes, I hear voices :p j/k) in the back of my head that said that I did indeed read it at The Inq.

Oh and by the way can somebody please hurt me for even asking what the Spingdale is? I feel like a complete ***** for not realizing that it's the dual-channel DDR chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back