Intel vs amd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whtddusy516

Ok, so i havnt really payed attention to AMD so much, but now im researching into buying a new computer and ive noticed that Some Amd processors cost the same as P4's...and from what ive read they run at lower speeds...could someone exlain this to me?

thanks

you haven't payed attention to AMD :eek: :eek: why not :confused: :confused:

performance wise, AMDs actually perform better and cost less than Intel processors.

Here's why... clock speed is only 1 piece of the puzzle when it comes to processor performance. while it is true that AthlonXPs and Athlon64s run at lower clock speeds than Pentium4s, they are still faster than pentium4s.

AMDs make more efficient use of each clock cycle than P4s do, which is why it does not have to run as fast to perform well. also, the L2 cache in an AMD processor does not duplicate the L1 cache like Intels do, so they L2 cache does not have to be as big either.

Just to use as an example, an AMD Athlon64 3800+ runs at 2.4GHz but performs as well as a 3.8GHz Pentium4... get it??

For years AMD has held the CPU performance crown, Intel has not been able to make a faster processor than AMD in years. however the soon to be released Conroe core Pentium4 is supposed to outperform any processor on the market today, so it would appear that Intel may finally take the performance crown back from AMD after years of second place (we'll have to wait to see how long it takes AMD to win it back, I have faith in them :))

To sum it all up, the socket939 Athlon64 series are the best CPUs you can buy right now, so if you're going to build tomorow then get a s939 AMD64. if you can wait a few more months then you may want to wait for a conroe

If you really need to buy all the parts tomorrow then yup, the socket 939 AMD's are the best right now. But I've been reading up on Intel's new Conroe processors(due out June I think) and they are kicking the current AMD processors around.
Look here:http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713&p=1
And that conroe processor that was tested there was only mid-range. According to other reports the new AM2 processors have no significant improvements on their current offerings, and the release date of AM3 processors will not be until early 2007 at the earliest.
p.s. I guarantee someone's going to tear my head off now with other facts, so hold on for a good old argument about this :D (I'm looking at you KingCody you AMD fanboy you :haha: )
p.p.s. I love Intel.

Depending on your budget, the best "Bang for buck" would be a 3200+ Venice & an NForce 4 board.

Down under, anyway!

They overclock nicely if you are that way inclined.

AMD's instructioins per clock (IPC) is about nine to Intel's six (Netburst.) Pentium M has stronger IPC than AMD and Conroe is taken from that design, but even faster per clock. I have allot of info in a tread here and in my sig.

:grinthumb Looks like Conroe is going to out clock AMD too!
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=94194 :eek:
More about this overclock is here.

That's about as fast as I've seen a X2 go, and this is just a preproduction ES chip. I think 10x400mhz is going to happen.:bounce:

4ghz HAPPEND! http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99981

Ok, so im going to take your word for this

right now im looking at this

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Asus A8N-VM CSM (if anyone could find the difference between the A8n-VM and the A8N-VM CSM that would be great...i could only find a review on the CSM)
Kinston 512Mb DDR400 (256 X 2)

and im going to start off with this until i can scrape up some more cash for a Case, PSU, andGraphics Card

Graphics is last on my list since the mobo has onboard VGA

Sounds good, but I'd scrimp a bit more and go for 2 x 512's.

When I went from a Barton 3200+ to A Venice 3200+ I couldn't believe the difference in speed!

You should be pretty happy with that set up.

I went the el cheapo way and got an NForce 3 board {AGP} so I could use most of the stuff from my old PC & am saving for a SLi board & Vid Card(s)

paranoid guy said:
I guarantee someone's going to tear my head off now with other facts, so hold on for a good old argument about this :D (I'm looking at you KingCody you AMD fanboy you :haha: )
p.p.s. I love Intel.
i am indeed an AMD fanboy :D but only because they are the underdog, I can't root for the giant even if they were better ;). If you noticed, in my earlier post I gave Intel it's props for the Conroe.

The first AM2 processors will be made from the same core designs as the s939 processors, which is why they will not have any major improvements that we know of. But I'm sure that they will design a new processor in the near future that will eat Conroe for breakfast !!! hahahahahaaaaha

The only comparison tests so far were the ones set up by Intel with Intel chosen hardware and software, not exactly fair game in my opinion.

We'll just have to wait and see ;)

Yea i was thinking about getting an AGP but im looking more torwards the future, so if i ever upgrade again i wont need to buy a new card (hopefully), and ill go with the 2 x 512, and would dishing out an extra 30 bucks for the Amd 64 3700+ San Diego be worth it?

AM2 is out on Tuesday. It is about same performane as 939, but much more future proof. AMD's fututre CPU's may even come closer to price/performance of CONROE! I'm sure the mobos are good and the CPUs are stable. It's the best way to go now with AMD.

yeaa that looks pretty sweet...but i dont know if im going to have the money to afford it and especially if it becomes unstable :dead: that would screw me over a lot lol

whtddusy516 said:
would dishing out an extra 30 bucks for the Amd 64 3700+ San Diego be worth it?
The Sandy has twice the cache of the 3200+, but it's only 200mhz faster. The cache helps some, but A64 do have very low latency to memory so the cache is less important. My 3200+ has been to 2.9ghz, Sandy's do about the same on air.

For $30 I say go for it. Or look at a Opteron 148, it's about the same thing. Others like 144(1.8ghz $139 or 146(2.0ghz) also have 1mb cache. You might find good deals on one of them. Monarch and Mwave have them I think. Make sure it's a socket 939.

I have a BIOSTAR TForce6100-939 It's very good, a best buy. The video works with every thing I've tried, it's just SLOW. It slows every thing else down when the video uses system memory.

Ok, ill look into it, ive been searching Mwave lately since they have the customizable bundles

this might be off topic, but would having Dual XFX Geforce 6800 Ultra Cards out perform a Geforce 7 series?

AMD all the way,

pros: run faster, hypertranspot technology, run much quieter, run cooler, fewer bottlenecks, all around better

cons: none that I have found

.....AMD

hmm..that seems pretty good...lately i was looking at the Pentium D 820 which runs about 200mhz faster i think, and i just looked at the prices, the price for the Athlon 64 3500+ is about $10 cheaper than the Pentium D 930 (3.0 Ghz :angel: ) and the PD is $20 cheaper than the 3700+

this is a lot of thinking for me lol

CrossFire851 said:
Only the the 805 is cappable of hitting clock speeds so high because it has a 20x muiltiplyer.

Wrong, they all are capable of over 4ghz. It just will have a lower bus speed to do it. That speed needs a high quality VRM circut, like the P5WD2's.

20x200=4ghz for a 805, or 15x267 for a 930 or 830. at $209 the 930 is a good deal too.

A P5LD2 and a 805 is a good combo. Right now I'm using a 3200+ and a Asrock DualSATA2, It's pretty good but dual core seems to be the future.

BTW, a Conroe has hit 4ghz!

lol, so my current configuration im lookingat buying now is

Pentium D 930 3Ghz
Gigabyte 8N-Sli Royal

I read some reviews on this mobo and ive heard a lot of good stuff from it, neoseekers gave it the editors choice award...they also said that its extremely easy to overclock on this mobo which might be helpful in the future for me

this setup is running me about the same as my last setup since i could put more $ into the mobo rather than the processor

If you spend $230 on a mobo you might as well have the best, ASUS P5WD2-E Premium, and Crossfire.

Nvidias Intel chipsets are not very good, if you look at the 3Dmark05 ORB, the top Intel SLi is on a P5WD2 with hacked drivers. If you realy want SLi, AMD is the best way to go, untill nvidia bites the bullet and enables their drivers for i975 chipsets like ATi did.

A 930 is better than a 640 at anything, really.

$230? mwave has it priced at $89

or is Royal a certain type, mwave doesnt have it listed but i havnt found anything but the Royal on the web :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back