Intellipoint Explorer Mouse Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

si007

When I'm using the mouse, the pointer will suddenly fly across the screen. This is really anoying when trying to do delicate art work and such like. I've checked the settings to make sure they were correct, especially to check that the "snap to" was not checked and everything looks OK. I also tried un-installing and re-installing it, making sure I had the latest drivers but this made no difference. This has been going on for quite a while now and I have searched in vain for a solution. If anyone has any ideas, I would be most grateful to hear from you.

Cheers.

Si
:cool:

Pentium III 933MHz
Windows Me
Abit BX133-RAID Motherboard
ASUS V8200 GeForce 3
512 MB Ram
SB Live Value
Direct X 8.1

Does your mousing surface(mouse pad) have reflective properties(is it shiny)? Reflective surfaces are bad to cause this problem, I had to get rid of my mouse pad because it had a glossy shine and would send the pointer all over the place.

No SB, it's a fairly standard mouse pad. My first thought was that it was a problem with the cable but I checked it thoroughly and it seems fine. I also tried cleaning the mouse but the problem is still there and it's driving me nuts!! I don't even know whether to buy another Intellipoint Explorer in case the same problem occurs. I really like the mouse apart from this annoying problem.

Cheers.

Si

I've seen smiliar problems happen on laptops, because of an incompatible touch pad. Plugging the USB mouse into the PS/2 port made the mouse jumpy.

If you are using a PS/2 converter, then plug the mouse directly into the USB... If you have it plugged into the USB port, then try to use a USB to PS/2 adapter and see if that works.

Just an unfounded suggestion though.

Another thing.. Microsoft recently issued a recall for their optical mice (You can find more info on their website). Instead of buying a new one, you can take advantage of the recall and get a new one for free.

The recall was for something different however.. It was for mice that randomly stopped working. Even so, they will honor the recall as long as you tell a little fib. :)

Now that you mention it Rick, I remember the USB to ps2 problem and it is worth trying.

As for the recall, I don't think the mouse has to actually have the problem to qualify, it just has to be between certain serial#s or something.

Hey Rick,

Yeah, I tried it in both those sockets but the problem still remains. I currently have it plugged into the USB port. Not sure about returning it to Microsoft as it has my hand print on it :D and indeed my fingerprints :eek: I bought it when they first came out in the UK so I've had it for some time now. So long, in fact. that, with my hand print, it's starting to look like a fossil!!

Cheers mate.

Si

Originally posted by si007
Hey Rick,

Yeah, I tried it in both those sockets but the problem still remains. I currently have it plugged into the USB port. Not sure about returning it to Microsoft as it has my hand print on it :D and indeed my fingerprints :eek: I bought it when they first came out in the UK so I've had it for some time now. So long, in fact. that, with my hand print, it's starting to look like a fossil!!

Cheers mate.

Si

I'm pretty sure it is too old for the recall anyway because those were made quite recently. It may however be old enough to fall prey to radio interference which was a problem when they first came out. There are several things that could cause that type of interference, pretty much anything cordless or wireless has the potential to cause interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back