Intel's 9-series chipsets not expected to support SATA Express

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Those hoping Intel’s next generation motherboard platform would arrive with SATA Express support appear set for disappointment. Despite multiple reports earlier this year claiming the technology would ship with Intel 9 Series chipsets, that no longer looks to be the case.

The latest information seen by VR-Zone suggests the storage standard will not be validated on 9 Series chipsets. Their story specifically calls out the high-end Z97 platform although the quote encompasses the entire 9-series family. Over the summer, leaks also suggested SATA Express would be absent from Haswell-E chipsets.

report intel sata express 9-series chipset

Not familiar with SATA Express? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. It’s part of the Serial ATA 3.2 specification which was ratified this past August. It introduces new connectors that support existing SATA hardware as well as PCIe-based SATA Express devices as The Tech Report points out.

SATA Express provides a choice of AHCI or NVM Express host interfaces in addition to a larger bandwidth pipe. AHCI is used for legacy devices while NVM Express would be utilized for high performance solid state drives of the future.

Without Intel’s support, the rollout of SATA Express devices is sure to be delayed. With any luck, however, maybe some third party peripheral controllers with SATA Express support will spring up and offer an alternative until Intel can get their act together in a future chipset. But considering how long it took the chip maker to implement USB 3.0 support, I’m not holding my breath.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, chip-set enhancements would be more of a mainstream elements. Anyone needing SATA Express can purchase an add-in card because the machine will likely not be a gaming rig and will have several open card slots.

AMD might not have the majority of market share, but maybe they can do what Intel drags out. The fact that the standard was finalized in August probably would not mean Intel would be changing their Road map. Intel is a big ship, and to turn they need a real and big fat cool reason.

Wow, I was pretty mad to see this. I guess I can upgrade my PC now since SATA will be prominent for at least another 2 years.

Meh, Broadwell is going to be a waste of time anyway. Skylake is where it's at:

512-bit AVX 3.2 instructions
PCIe 4.0
SATA Express
DDR4
2nd generation mature 14nm that should yield superior overclocks to Broadwell
More tangible 10-15% increase in IPC

Every single Tock Intel has ever made for the desktop has been a lame update from their Ticks. Intel has never made a Tock worth waiting for. Even the excellent update to Q6600 with the form of Q9550 was ultimately embrassed by the basic i5 750 chip.

Someone who follows the desktop CPU industry closely will skip Broadwell because Skylake is the first legitimate upgrade to Haswell. Fingers cross that Intel finally fixed the cheapo TIM on Skylake and goes with the solder route.

Back