Internet access problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

josbd

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've recently changed over to using a hub instead of directly networking.

I started using the hub about a month ago but in the past week I have had problems accessing the internet from a networked pc.

The first time when I couldn't suss out what was wrong I did a complete re-install... that was 2 days ago and now it has happened again.

I was using the internet from my laptop (not the pc connected to the dsl) then I closed down and an hour later turned it back on and couldn't access the internet. I could, however, still access pc's on the network. I have tried changing access settings on sygate and checked there was nothing else changed including the ethernet settings etc and i still can't get it to connect to the internet. Only to the pc's on the network. The main pc is running fine and still connects to the internet.

As I don't have another pc working atm I am unable to test if this is a problem with the main pc or just the laptop.

Can anyone give me any advice? I am running both pc and laptop on win2k pro.

Many thanks! Jo.

are you using the main as a server or do you mean primery use machine
if all you pc's are going to a hub
and then connecting to a dsl modem
it could be a routing thing
you may want to get a router instead of hub
your connection to internet may see the other machines as not the log in user
check to see if the IP address changed
on the network card that used to happen to me untill I went with static ip

need more info
default IP on router should be 192.168.1.1
all others should have ther own
last set .101 .102 and so on
what OS do you use
XP can be goofy with security

A hub does nothing for your internet connection. Replace it with a router/switch combination that has at least 4 RJ45 ports. That way the router is always connected to the internet (WAN), and the home-network (on the RJ45 ports) is the LAN that connects the PCs to each other. Every PC on the LAN can connect to the internet, regardless of whether a main PC is switched on.

Excellent information, as usual! Many thanks chaps.

Sorry, I should have said that the OS is Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back