Internet all of a sudden disconnects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom's computer is connected to our DSL through a USB port. It all of a sudden stopped working and I'm not sure what's going on. It all started happening when I cleaned out her computer with Spybot, Adaware and Hijack This. Our DSL (says 2WIRE on it) has 2 connections in the back, one for ethernet and one for USB. I have mine connected through ethernet and hers uses the USB. I just restored everything Hijack This removed and her computer is restarting now, but if that doesn't do the trick, how can I fix this? I checked and everything is plugged in properly.

oops; you can have ONE ethernet or ONE USB, but not both connected at the same time.

Two connect multiple computers, you need a cheap router and it cables
like this
modem->router --> two cables, one to each computer
Mom will need to use the ethernet RJ45 connection rather than the USB,
but it will all run fine, independently or simultaneously

Yup, find a router.
You worded your question as though you have always had both plugged in?
Well, what's the story?

Plugging it into the ethernet worked fine. But just so you know, my DSL's instruction booklet said that you can use the USB connection the back of the DSL modem for one computer, and the ethernet connection for another computer so you wouldn't have to get a router.

Interresting.
It could be that the PC using the USB doesn't have a working driver. You normally don't need a driver to use the Ethernet, but USB usually does.

sour27 said:
Plugging it into the ethernet worked fine. But just so you know, my DSL's instruction booklet said that you can use the USB connection the back of the DSL modem for one computer, and the ethernet connection for another computer so you wouldn't have to get a router.

Interesting to say the least! what brand/model is the modem?

Not to quible w/you, but the ethernet/usb ports on the modem are USUALLY
mutually exclusive and actions from the system so attached can alter the
modem and TCP/ip config. This is why we suspect the disconnect when the
second system requests it's IP config. If there is a means to use both
concurrently, check the manual to see if one or the other is the 'master'
connection when both are active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back