Internet Connection between 2 user profiles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in need of help!! I've been searching for a solution to this for the last 3 hours n I'm just tired now...

What I'm trying to figure out is why, when I switch user profiles, the profile I'm leaving disconnects from the internet... If anyone can help me I would GREATLY appreciate it!! I'm sure it's probably something stupidly simple but I just can't figure it out...

I am using an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection in an Inspiron E1705 using WinXP Pro w/SP2... if you need any more information I'll provide it...

Thanks for anyone's time put into this...

FiTz04 said:
tried it, does the exact same thing...

No, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Do you have 'Fast User Switching' enabled? You can tell because you'll see a graphical interface to switch users (names and icons). If you have fast user switching disabled, you'll get a prompt and have to type in the user name.

Wireless Properties, click on Advanced

Internet Connection Sharing...

Make sure you have the first one check off? Do you have that check off or do you have the second one checked off?
The second one will disable the internet connection when you log off with one profile to log on with another one.

FiTz04 said:
fast user switching is on and the first box does not have a check in it...

How about the Secondary Logon service? Start > Run > services.msc
Double check the Fast User Switching service too, just to make certain.

I know with dial up, it leaves the computer connected. I feel like this should work with broadband too, but since it doesn't require dialing in, I haven't really noticed any disconnection in the past.

It says fast user switching is started in here also... I know it, I've never had this problem before, that's why I'm just absolutely confused! lol

We must be missing some critical information here. I have read this thread and this should be an easy thing to fix... I'm confused

I've always had this problem, and I would generally consider myself computer competent...

I switch to another user, the wireless connection drops, and then it reconnects. Yes, switch - not log off, though I'd assume logging off would do the same thing. I'll try to let you know if I'm able to get this problem resolved...

did you find this
Keep RAS Connections Alive When Switching Users
DSL and dialup only?
check your modem settings or router settings
you may need to find a registery tweak for this

K. Here's how I did it!

KeepRasConnections (and note that this must be a STRING value, not a dword) didn't do it for me. What I did was uninstall my wireless driver and utility in Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Then, I had the system detect new hardware (Add New Hardware in Control Panel) and the wireless driver was automatically reinstalled. Keep in mind I'd advise that you download the latest driver anyway just in case this doesn't happen for you. After this, the wireless driver alone was installed (no more utility), and after this, things worked as intended, and I just used Windows' Wireless Zero to configure my wireless settings (I'd done this before, but having the utility still present was holding back my progress, I think).

I left KeepRasConnections in the registry after it didn't work, so that's something to consider as well.

Hope anyone else with this problem is able to solve it. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or if all the conditions for the following problem are no longer met, but I noticed that after my wireless connection + fast user switching problem was solved, another fast user switching related problem seemed to disappear (unless it was already gone - see the end of this paragraph). This problem was that whenever another user had been logged on, closing the laptop lid and reopening it would result in the screen NOT COMING BACK! The screen would not return when I opened the lid! Sometimes it would return after a long period of time, though. Another possible reason for this is that I just upgraded from 512mb ram to 1280mb ram. That could have something to do with this problem being solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back