Internet connection problem - Hijack This Log Attached - Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello -

I've just reinstalled my XP operating system by deleting the partition and reforting the drive. I have successfully installed XP and my other programs and also installed SP2 and all the other updates from Microsoft. This is where my internet connection problem started.

Initally after the reinstall I was able to connect to the Internet with no problem, however now I'm having serious problems with my connection.

Each time I connect to the internet it display's the page / pages with no problem for around a minute but then is unable to display anymore. Every page comes up with the 'This Page Cannot Be Dispalyed'. I'm also unable to access emails or anything - it's as if I've been disconnected. Although my connection icon on my taskbar still states that I'm connected. Very bizzare!!!

If I reboot the PC, I am able to connect for another minute or so and then it goes again! I thought it was a possible Spyware issue so have run the most up to date versions of Ad-aware and Spybot but to no avail!

I've posted a Hijack this Log, could anyone please help shed so light on this problem and suggest a way of fixing this???

Thanks for taking the time to read this - I hope you can help!

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to Techspot !
I am not a Hijack this expert , other guys in here will give you a better response to your log. However nothing looks bad to me . I don't hink your problem stems from Malware.
IE can have your symptoms from a number of settings .
-check that your securtity settings for IE are not too high, medium is secure enough with a firewall.
-check your firewall settings and confirm that Windows firewall is disabled.
- After a fresh reload of O/S , you may find heavy Defragmentation, Clean out all Temp files,Temp Internet files files left from installs > then defrag your drives
- Check that the storage file for TempIntrnetFiles is on a drive with enough Free space.
-Then confirm your connection settings and speed. You can go to Pcpitstop.com , there is a small download , Then you can test your connection speed and settings it is Free and I have never had a problem with their test.
- Mozilla and IE both are dependant on the servers for your IP supplier It can also be that they are just busy, I complained to mine once enough to get them to change my connection IP address for a different server.

Boot in Safe Mode.
Switch System restore OFF.
Press Ctrl/Alt/Del simultaneously, select Taskmanager/Processes, select the process (if there), click "End Process" for:

unpak32.exe

Next, click Start/Run and type services.msc and click OK. Look for the service:
unpak32.exe
Doubleclick it, click Stop if it's running, and change the Startup type to Disabled.

Next, run a HJT scan and place a tick-mark in the little square before (if still there):
C:\WINDOWS\system32\unpak32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MICROSOFT UNPACCKER SYSTEM] unpak32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MICROSOFT UNPACCKER SYSTEM] unpak32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MICROSOFT UNPACCKER SYSTEM] unpak32.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SATARaid.lnk = ?
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1116793241578

Now click on the Fix Checked button in HJT.
When done, delete the highlighted unpak32.exe file.
Delete all files and directories from: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temp
Repeat this for ALL [usernames].
Boot normal. When all OK, switch System Restore back on.

Thanks for your kind Help, the unpak32.exe springs to mind. My Norton Firewall popup warning kept asking for access for this every 10 seconds for it. It became so annoying I allowed it access which has obviously caused my problem.

I shall give it a go and let you know the outcome.

I have followed your advice and the problem has been sorted! Your a legend!! Thank you again for all your help!!! I owe you a Pint of Guinness :hotbounce

same problem

Hi. I'm having exactly the same problem. I followed your steps but when I got to the Processes I don't have unpak32.exe in the list.

Do you have any other advice? Please!

I couldn't see it either in Processes - it's not a problem. Fix the Problem where ever it is shown in Hijack This. Then delete all the temp folders. Once done run a search (Run > Search) for any unpak32 files and delete those and re boot. :bounce:

nope

Hi, I installed Hijack This and scanned and I can't find anything even close to unpak32... am I doing something wrong?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Just because you have similar problems, doesn`t mean that it`s the same file that`s causing it.

Go HERE and follow the instructions carefully. Print them out if you can.

Once you have done that, go HERE for instructions on how to post your Hijackthis log.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back