internet connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

davids

I have an ntl broadband connection, and the internet is working ok (http works fine). However, any updates I try to make ie; norton antivirus, spybot update etc will not work - it says error connecting to server, make sure your have an active internet connection and your proxy settings if any are corect. As far as i can establish, there are no proxy settingas necesary - but im not certain as i dont know alot about this. Also, I have just cleaned the computer of viruses as there was a lot of problems - I wonder if a virus has somehow disabled the ability of AV software to update its self?

I should also mention, it is my aunties computer, so it is not here for me to mess around on, i am just trying to establish what the problem may be. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dave

details?

which browser are you using and can you run

MS Update in the Internet Explorer (MS requires their proprietary browser for this to work)?

If you have Norton Internet Security,
enable the Window Firewall version, then disable NIS and try again

Firefox is the default browser, IE is also on there. Zonealarm was also on there, I tryed turning that off and putting the windows firewall on, still doesnt work, as for norton, it is installed on there, but doesnt seem to run (I think because the subscription has expired - so couldnt get into the settings for that. I just find it strange how the intenet works, but the update wont...

I think the best clue is the Spybot failure, as NAV/NIS has other complexities.

make sure you're logged in on an ADMIN account, run Spybot S&D
..Use the MODE menu to access Advanced Features
..Click on the Tools Button on the left column and then
..double-click Host File
if you've never setup anything here, the widow will be empty or worse yet
the Spybot site will be shown.
..REGARDLESS, near the top, click near the green PLUS sign
..to Add Spybot S&D host list

this will prevent access to every site listed (they're all bad guys)
AND lock the HOST file from being update by scripting.

quit Spybot, restart it and try the Search for Updates again.

So what does that do? Stops them sites from connecting to your computer? Do you think one of them sites could be connected and preventing update from functioning?

If you can use the browser and display pages from around the world, but not
access the update sites, then
1) a firewall might be blocking access on
....port 443 (ssl) secure access
....port 20/21 ftp downloads
2) you might have a hijacker inhibiting the access of sites with security updates

the HOSTS file is intended as a shortcut to resolve site names->IP addresses,
and to stop accesses to known bad sites, Spybot S&D adds a trick of its own
to map BAD SITES-> your own system. This effectively closes the door a site that causes harm.

Norton WinDoctor will fix common erros in the registry mapping of files and
config info while Spybot S&D will find and allow repair of common malware
issues. If at all possible, run both in this sequence and fix everything found.
When you can access the update sites, you can then rerun with better signature files to resolve more issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back