Internet connection Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenni3587

Hi again. I dont know why. I am not sure if its just the internet connection that i have here on campus, but, lately i have had to restart my computer to connect to the internet.

I am the type of person who leaves there computer on all the time. I never turn it off and so lately when i get back to my room, it wont connect to the internet and i have to restart for it to connect.

Could there be a spyware/bug/virus??? or something? or should i just not be alarmed?

Thanks for the help!

could jst be a bug of some sort - I've had it myself and usually found it to happenwhen using particular applications, or after a particular event (like loosing a connection and finding the I can't open anything like "network connections" etc as it causes the computer to hang.

take a look in sygate personal firewall ad try setting alg.exe to allow instead of ask if it's set as such.

This post is from personal experience, someone else may have a more technical explanation.

in the mean time, when did you last format your computer? (not meaning to frighten you! lol I'm not saying you need to!)

i didn't find the alg.exe thing on sygate.

and i havent reformatted this comp ever. I just got it a couple months ago. I reallt want to avoid reformatting. I thought and felt that if i informed myself on bugs and cleaned it out once a week. i wouldn't have to. Please tell me i dont have to.

The internet is now kinda slow too.maybe its just teh connection?

Check with the campus network administrator. They may automatically kick you off the web after so many hours.
If you don't switch your PC off when you are gone (what a waste of energy!), at least close all browsers/messengers/email programs etc, anything that goes online, before you leave.

Jenni3587 said:
Hi again. I dont know why. I am not sure if its just the internet connection that i have here on campus, but, lately i have had to restart my computer to connect to the internet.
1) what kind of system (laptop,dekstop) and what OS do you have?
the restart to reconnect sounds like Win/98​
2) how do you connect, (ethernet wire to a router, wireless)

to RBS, i guess it would be a waste of energy, but i keep the laptop hooked up to the wall so it doesn't waste battery and i am on college campus so i am constantly in and out of my room randomly needing my computer and sometimes i need to look something up quickly and dont have time to wait for it to boot up. So thats why i just keep it on.

Second, i have a gateway laptop, my os is windows XP.

I can understand if the network administrator disconnects you after a certian amount of time, but its never done that before till recently. So ima bit confused.

Thanks for the help again you guys.

let it hiberbate - - just close the lid.

btw: sure hope you have a password login - - all the dormies will have fun
at your expense while you're away

I've watched mine come out of hiberation and it re-acquires the net automatically.

Your campus admin may have set the DHCP Lease to something smallish like 12 or 24 hours and the recovery from the expiration may not be working for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back