Internet Connection = Random Reboot??

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandmaz

I have a very interesting problem. After exhaustive troubleshooting with a random reboot issue, I have discovered the culprit. (I can reliably recreate reboot with OCCT torture test). Here is my issue: When my cable is connected from my cable modem to my computer (motherboard with onboard lan) the reboot will occur. When I test for a reboot with the network cable unplugged, no reboot...machine is rock solid (ran stability/torture test for over 8 hours). I tried this test same test at my buddy's apartment. My machine would NOT reboot with or without the internet connection. The only difference in setup is that he is using a router and I am not.

Has anybody run into this sort of flakiness before? Would a router solve my problem or am I dealing with something more complicated (perhaps a wiring issue)? I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Do you have any bulging caps on your motherboard? Sounds like you have a faulty onboard NIC and either need to install a PCI one or replace the motherboad.

The motherboard appears to be fine. My machine had no problem at all when connected at my friend's apartment. The only connection difference is that he is working through a router and I'm going directly from my cable modem to my computer onboard NIC.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I am running ZoneAlarm for my firewall and this is the only computer in my house on connected to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back