Internet Connection Sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have finally got my new PC up and running, now all I need to do is share the internet connection with my old one.

I've connected the two PCs with a crossover cable and they can both see each other. Also, went thru the ICS wizard on both machines but I cannot get online on the old PC.

The new machine is running XP Pro (SP2) and connects to the internet via USB ADSL modem (2Mbit connection). The old PC is running XP Home (SP2). Any ideas?

Are you running any non-windows firewall on the computer with the modem attached? If so, try disabling it to see if that helps.

for each computer, go to the RUN menu, enter
cmd /k ipconfig /all

notice the OLD computer settings (the one with Internet Access)
The OLD computer will respond to ping earthlink.net

Now compare the results from the NEW computer.
The gateway will likely be 192.168.0.1 and a mask of 255.255.255.0
The DNS address must be the same from both systems

does this help?

The following steps must be carried out on all of your networked computers.
Name i) your computer, and put all of the computers on your network into ii) the same Workgroup. Do this from the network applet, on the Identification tab.
Also from the network applet (Configuration tab), add the following:
a Client - the Client for Microsoft Networks - and select it, not Windows Logon, as the Primary Network Logon in the little window of the same name;
a Service - File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks;
a Protocol - TCP/IP to share access to the Internet.
From the network applet (Access Control tab), specify "Share-level access control."
Find drives, folders or printers which you wish to share, right-click on them, and click Sharing. This will bring up a Properties applet on its Sharing tab. Specify "Shared As:" with a name of your choosing, and under "Access Type:" choose Full. Leave the password blank (for now).
When you start up your computer, you will see a Logon window, with your Workgroup name, and asking for a password - leave the password blank, for now, and click Enter.

know whats missing
the router
if you are using pc as gateway for the other pc it must be config'ed as gateway or dhsp router
once this is done the 2nd pc will be able to access the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back