internet connection speed changes at will

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is my problem:

i have a 56 K modem

and when i log into internet it once says that the connection speed is 45,2 kBit/s . the next time i log in it says 28,8 kBit/s

But also during one internet session it changes the speed

(a pinging program said once about 80 kbytes and 17 kbytes)

And well, sometimes i there is no datatransfer at all for about half a minute or so

The speed changes are common. Even when you connect at 53.3k or whatever you may connect at, your session speed doesn't really stay constant. Also, the Windows connection speed info lies.

Given the huge variance, I might suspect your line has a lot of static, which won't always been audible. You should call your phone company and have a static check done. It's often free and just takes a few minutes. They can also fix it right there on the phone sometimes. Also make sure your phone line is nice and snug and you don't have any devices which may cause interference on your phone line, like surge supressing phone filters.

The next step might be changing Internet providers. It could be that your ISP is not providing a consistently good connection.

And a third choice (although unlikely) could involve updating your modem drivers (if an update is available).

The next choice would be investing in a high quality 56k hardware modem or getting rid of dial up all together and giong for cable or DSL (if available in your area, of course)

And the last step might be just acceptance. :(

also try and keep the cable from pc(rj11) to wall socket as short as possible to reduce attenuation on the the signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back