internet connection trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for the past few days i have been un able to access a bunch of websites, they would say can't connect, timed out... i rebooted my computer from the factory settings, ran lots of antivirus software, scanned my computer, deleted programs to free up memory, tried turning off the firewall.. restarted my connection, i recently updated everything on the computer as well so i'm running the service pack 2 for xp... any help would be greatly appreciated

you need to understand the technology. this is how the Internet is LOGICALLY
wired
Code:
your machine(s)--your router--your modem --- your ISP ..... the whole world

your first task is to ensure you can access your ISP.
I usually set my browser home page to my ISP's site;
eg: adelphia.net is the ISP and their site is the obvious www.adelphia.net

Launching the browser tells me immediately that all my stuff and access to
the Internet IS/IS NOT working.

from there, its a 50/50 chance that any given site is operational, down for maintence, or
some link along the ways is broken.

so it www.google.com will not respond,
use ping www.google.com to determine if their system is running and
accessible. if so, the the webserver @ google has some problem

so, using the prior comments, what is vs is not working? can you get to your ISP?

emgalston said:
yes i can get to the isp
then it's beyond your control. the site(s) you are attempting are overloaded
or some system between you and them is having problems.

welcome to the Internet :)

be more specific; what does'nt work? the login fails or problems after login?
did you call the admin and report your problem?

Did you upgrade to Internet Explorer 7.0, or did Microsoft do it to you through Automatic Updates?
That is usually the cause we see. A number of tweaks are necessary to fix it, but too scattered to discuss here.

emgalston said:
So for the past few days i have been un able to access a bunch of websites, they would say can't connect, timed out... i rebooted my computer from the factory settings, ran lots of antivirus software, scanned my computer, deleted programs to free up memory, tried turning off the firewall.. restarted my connection, i recently updated everything on the computer as well so i'm running the service pack 2 for xp... any help would be greatly appreciated

Download Firefox browser and see if you can get to those sites? If you can then IE is corrupted. Only way to fix that is to run and IE update from MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back