INternet dialer is not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to fix a problem on a friends PC where the internet dialup is not working -
The PC is WinXP Pro SP2 with all the latest updates from Microsoft .
Iexplore is version 6

Symantec is installed and has indicated there are no viruses but it did find some adware/spyware which was removed and on subsequent scans is not there.
Windows Defender is installed and has scanned without finding anything unusual.

What is happening is when they dial the internet it fails to connect

I though it might be the phone line or modem so I decided to use hyperterminal to rule this out. With Hypertrtm I could dial the same number for the ISP and get connected .

But if i use the Dial-up Networking or windows dialer it never connects.
so i decided to call a local number 5 digits with windows dial up networking this local number is seven digits but the modem sounds like it is calling at least 10 digits.

I'm afraid that something has hijacked the dialer and is putting in its own number .

One reason I feel this is the case is that on creation of a new dial-up connection I made to another ISP I set the username to free and password to free (according to ISP settings) but the second time I tried to dial this the username had been changed.

Is there any way of checking what number are actually being dialed ?

Can i re-install Dial-up Networking on XP , I know hti was possible on earlier versions of Windows ?

Is there any utility that checks for this type of Dialer hijack?

Regards
ALC

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If you suspect a Highjack, do the following.

Go and read the Trojan Pakes and other nasties preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of ALC only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back