Internet Explorer is frozen (version 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trixietrack

When I double click on internet explorer to go on line. It starts to show that it is connecting then it just freezes up and my laptop starts to make an awful clicking sound.
It looks like it's trying to find a site for Symantec.
I can't connect at all.
any suggestions?

if you use a modem to dial up over a phone line this sounds like the internal modem either has a fault or cannot get a dial tone from your line. If a dial-up (not ADSL/DSL/cable)
First: try the laptop on another phone line
Second: check you are dialling the correct number
Third: Dial the number from your standard phone and listen to confirm it is connecting to another modem. If you are not sure what the noises should sound like, ask your telco for a demo (in some countries they don't do this and as you have not said where you are from.....)

AlbertLionheart said:
if you use a modem to dial up over a phone line this sounds like the internal modem either has a fault or cannot get a dial tone from your line. If a dial-up (not ADSL/DSL/cable)
First: try the laptop on another phone line
Second: check you are dialling the correct number
Third: Dial the number from your standard phone and listen to confirm it is connecting to another modem. If you are not sure what the noises should sound like, ask your telco for a demo (in some countries they don't do this and as you have not said where you are from.....)

Hi I am in the US using a DSL connection. There is no land line in the house.The computer was running wireless.
could this be that the modem was accidentally disabled?

the hardrive is fine, I am able to work on the laptop. Just can't go online.
Internet explorer is totally frozen. the connecting bar is flickering. It says security toolbar. to green labels one reads block adware pop up.
the other says remove spyware.
If you click on anyof the above messages, nothing happens, just a clicking sound.
If I try to click on a different website, same thing as mentioned above happens.

Trix is frustrated.
(will try connecting somewhere else)

Hard drives usually click when they begin to fail. Where does it sound like the clicking is coming from then?

the clicking only happens when connecting to IE. otherwise the laptop runs just fine. I am able to save and work on the laptop just fine. when turning it on or off I have no problems. it's a Dell latitude d620.
thanks

How can you say the laptop works fine when you can't make an internet connection? Or is it that you can't just launch IE but can access sites?

Can you get a site by clicking on a Favorites or site in email? Have you tried another browser? You need to determine if the browser is corrupt or the connection settings aren't working. Have you called your ISP to check the settings?

I suggest trying a different browser, perhaps one that's specifically optimized for the laptop, or you could try updating to IE 7 - but personally I would suggest abandoning IE altogether for Mozilla Firefox - it's free, faster, more effecient, and just better in general. It also might work better on a laptop.

The only problem is that if you have no way of accessing the Internet otherwise, or no way to transfer the installer for Firefox onto your laptop, and can't manage to connect at all on your laptop, then how will you get the installer? In that case you could ask a friend to download the installer for you and burn it to a disc or mini hard drive or something.

If you try another browser and it still isn't working, it's probably a bigger problem with your internet connectivity, in which case I can't help you because I know little about internet connections in general, let alone those on laptops. (I don't have a laptop and I've never used one.)

Bobbye said:
How can you say the laptop works fine when you can't make an internet connection? Or is it that you can't just launch IE but can access sites?

Can you get a site by clicking on a Favorites or site in email? Have you tried another browser? You need to determine if the browser is corrupt or the connection settings aren't working. Have you called your ISP to check the settings?

I think it's the browser, because I cannot access any sites, will try mozilla tonight
danke

Have you called your DSL company? I've had quite a few customers with similar problems whereas they couldn't "hit the net", but once I finally contacted an actual technician (you must be persistent or you'll only get a minimum wage employee with a troubleshooting book in front of them), we went through all the diagnostics. In a few cases, it was the actual connection at their end and in a few others, it was a piece of hardware in the line outside the house but before the terminal which goes into the house.

sghiznaneck said:
Have you called your DSL company? I've had quite a few customers with similar problems whereas they couldn't "hit the net", but once I finally contacted an actual technician (you must be persistent or you'll only get a minimum wage employee with a troubleshooting book in front of them), we went through all the diagnostics. In a few cases, it was the actual connection at their end and in a few others, it was a piece of hardware in the line outside the house but before the terminal which goes into the house.

I have another laptop that is working just fine and connecting to the internet.
I think that (crossing fingers) changing the browser is the answer. I will try this tonight and keep everyone posted

trix

Changing the browser may give you a connection- even a better browser, but that doesn't change what was causing the problem on IE. If you would like to pursue this, check the Event Viewer as follows:

Follow this path:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> click on System &Apps individually, on the left and look for errors on the right screen that will open. Right click on error > Properties> Note Event # and Source:

When you open any event there is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the event details there. You do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description.

You can also enter the # and Source in either of these sites:

http://www.eventid.net/search.asp
http://www.monitorware.com/en/events/

Glad to hear that trixietrack
But you still don't know what is causing the IE problem, but if your happy with firefox then fair dos.

Regards Jase

hi and thanks for replying. yes the problem with IE is still in the back of my mind.
will try what bobbie suggested above as soon as I catch up with work.
will keep you posted

Changing the browser didn't solve the problem. It just gave you another browser option. I don't know what the problem is with IE6 but it should have been resolved.

I use Firefox and think you'll enjoy it but I would have liked to have fixed IE first THEN tried another browser to see which I liked best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back