Internet Explorer/ISP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I have a pc which is giving problems with connecting to the internet. We are using a new ISP and we can log onto the ISP server but cannot surf web pages or check e-mail.

To date I have reloaded DUN and the settings for the ISP. He is using IE6 and I have carried out a repair on that.

I have also loaded the ISP settings for a company I use and have the same probs with that also. he has another connection to the internet (not using an ISP) and we can surf happily with that.

The pc is running Windows 98

I transferred his ISP settings to my pc, admittedly running Win XP, and it connected without any problem.
I am beginning to wonder if it may be a problem with Win 98 itself as it has been loaded for quite a few years now, although he is not having any other problems with this machine.
Any suggestions?

Who is the new ISP? I had the same problem with Earthlink Total Access when I installed their Internet Accelerator. I had to end up not using the accelerator. Everything works fine without it.

Try www.utvinternet.com (also under www.u.tv) if they have a low-cost dial-up from the UK (they do from Ireland and N.I.).
Until I got my broadband I used them for nearly 3 1/2 years. Never a problem.
They do have free email (POP3) with excellent anti-spam/anti-virus filters built-in.

PS: there is a different version of DUN 1.4 for W98 and W98SE !! Did you install the correct one?

What are the settings for DNS, are they still from the old ISP?
If you obtain an IP-address automatically, also set the DNS to automatically.

That's strange, what is the "other connection" that "doesn't use an ISP"? You have to have an ISP to get online. I thought.

Kinda sounds like an LSP winsock problem to me. You could try pinging a web site in a command prompt. Start-Run and type "Command". The type "ping "any URL"" and hit enter. If it doesn't work maybe try pinggin a direct IP address. Sorry I can't post URLs so just think up one for ping.

The other thing would be firewall software, or proxies. If you have a software firewall, make sure it didn't block your ISP software. And check the dialup connection properties for a proxie server.

Oh, also I'll mention, while reloading the DUN is a good thing, it doesn't also reload the winsock. You can search for and download a program called LSPFix. You will find a program that can reload all the winsock and DUN automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back