Internet Explorer with Service Pack 2 or Mozilla?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettyboop911

I just reformatted and did a clean install of Windows XP. Works great. But now of course, PcCillin is telling me to update windows. I understand that most of the updates are about Internet Explorer (fixing their vulnerabilities). Popup blockers were a problem for me in the past. They messed up everything--even when I turned them off in Explorer.

Would it be a better option to NOT update Windows XP and just use Mozilla or something? Thanks.

You should keep Windows updated regardless of the browser you use. With SP2 IE has a built in popup blocker that works fairly well.

Just about everyone that responds to this thread will tell you to use Firefox, and how its much more secure and you won't get a bunch of bad things on your computer.

I suggest Opera though, version 8 is really good and it has a much more polished look and feel to it than Firefox in my opinion.

You should keep IE up to date even if you don't use it, because updating it also updates DLLs used by other operating system components.

For example, mshtml.dll is used by Windows Media Player and Help and Support Center, etc.

Yeah I`ll second the Firefox browser, but SNGX1275`s suggestion of opera is also good.

Whatever you decide I would recommend to use IE for windows updates only.

Regards Howard :) :)

Both.
Using Firefox alone won't help with regard to many vulnerabilities & much of the security updates that affect IE & also apply to other Windows components (Or at least, can be exploited without directly using IE).

Get them both
and while your at it a good firewall software proggy
as firefox becomes more popular it to will see hackers breaking in
Microsoft has a free beta spyware blocker you can dwnld ,looks OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back