Internet going very slow in SuSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

focus_water

im currently using SuSE. i have never used it befor. i have a 512 ADSL connection. when i load a web page it will take about a minute to load. if i downlaod a program or something the speed is normal. so if anyone knows how to make the connection go at normal speeds can i please tell me in the easiest way.

What computer do you have? Processor, RAM?

What browser?

What kind of a network connection? Router? Wireless?

web pages have multiple resources (scripts, style sheets, images, Java)
and your browser can do better with more connection threads. the default
is four, but usually you can set it for more -- don't get crazy here -- ten would
be reasonable.

be sure to test your DNS resolution -- set your DNS to be that with the least
hop count.

I have the same problem. Firefox, Opera all have slow net speeds. But Konquerer runs fine. You tried using the net with Konquerer?

PS
How can you increase connection thread exactly?

well i fixed the problem now. what you need to do is open firefox and type in about:config and press enter then in the search bar type in ipv6. (im pretty sure that it right but if not tell me and ill have a look.)the search will find one result and if it says its off then you need to turn it on. then just restart firefox and see how fast it goes.

I am running SuSe 10.2. I manged to find it under ; network.dns.diableIPv6 I set the value to true and now the net is working fine in firefox.

Thanks for the help.

PS
Are they any more setting i can play with to make the net faster?

nope sorry thats to only thing that i know about that will make the speed faster.

i know this is getting off the topic but do you use aMSN in Linux? i have been searching for ages for someone that can tell me how to install it. i downloaded heaps of packages but they say they aren't right. i tried installing it by the source code but i need something called tcl-dev files and i dont have a clue where to get them from. so if you have installed it can you please tell me how you did it.

I don't use aMSN so I cant help you there. But I will google around and see if i can help.

Opera is running slow for me too. You guys found any tweaks to make it run faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back