Internet Home Page will not Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Route44

I wasn't sure where to put this, it really isn't a web security issue, so I decided this was the best place possible. I went to go and access the internet and my home page will not not load. So I decided to reset both my router and modem -- twice -- but that didn't help at all.

I went to Tools > Internet Options > Home Page and the correct address is present.

Here is the thing: I can access my favorits and my mail, but the home page just will not load. Any ideas? Thanks

Classic spyware symptom! It's called web browser highjacking. Spyware attempts to change your homepage to their own web site but in the process it corrupts your browser settings.

Try the following 3 anti-spyware utilities:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware

All are free and can be downloaded via the Internet.

almcneil said:
Classic spyware symptom! It's called web browser highjacking. Spyware attempts to change your homepage to their own web site but in the process it corrupts your browser settings.

Try the following 3 anti-spyware utilities:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware

All are free and can be downloaded via the Internet.

This is what I was thinking, too, and I almost ran a scan before posting. Thanks for the reply; just wanted to see if it might possibly be something else. Now to go scan... *Grrr*

Unfortunately, those scans will take a long time to complete.

When I worked for Dell at one of their call centres, 90% of service calls where spyware! They then opened a separate call centre in India jsut to handle spyware calls because they take so long!

I've seen this problem too many times!

I started with CCleaner just to clean everything up. Then I ran Adaware, AVG anti-spyware, Webroot's Spysweeper, and NOD32 anti-virus and other than a few low risk cookies like Mediaclick, nothing was found and yet I still cannot access my internet home page. It is Comcast by the way.

Now this is weird. Tonight I ran CCleaner for the 3rd time since I had trouble with my Comcast Home Page not loading. As you know I ran a slew of programs (including Trendmicro) to see if I was infected and every one showed my system was clean (I have done this several times).

So I go back online tonight and the home page loads but not until I tried several times earlier! But I couldn't access my email. To make a long story short I disabled my Sunbelt Kerio Firewall and the email loaded. You ask, "Why?" I haven't a clue.

Sunbelt's firewall can be a real pain. I put Comcast in my firewall's exception site, but I never had to before.

Route44, of the 3 anti-spyware utils I recommended, Spybot is the best at resolving web browser hijacking. Yet, that's the one you didn't run!! Try it and see if it works.

Well it is working now and everything seems fine. Here is another thing. I ran AVG's antispyware and it found a trojan in my son's folder. This trojan attaches to AOL subject matters but as my son made it clear he hadn't opened emails on this computer in ages.

None of my security software picked it up -- including NOD32. Again I ran sweeps several times with several different utilities and everything appeared clean. Why AVG picked it up on the 5th sweep I haven't a clue.

This goes to to support the old adage: No security software is perfect.

Thanks for the help almcneil.

Route44 said:
Well it is working now and everything seems fine. Here is another thing. I ran AVG's antispyware and it found a trojan in my son's folder. This trojan attaches to AOL subject matters but as my son made it clear he hadn't opened emails on this computer in ages.

None of my security software picked it up -- including NOD32. Again I ran sweeps several times with several different utilities and everything appeared clean. Why AVG picked it up on the 5th sweep I haven't a clue.

This goes to to support the old adage: No security software is perfect.

Thanks for the help almcneil.

Not a problem. You are most welcome! As I mentioned, this was a classic spyware symptom. When I worked at that Dell call centre, 90% of our reported problems were spyware of some kind. What you described I saw scores of times!!

Your point is 100% correct! No one utility can detect everything! Usually with anti-virus you only need one but sometimes two. With anti-spyware you need at least 3!! Malware is like Entropy, it's always increasing!! (I used to be an engineer!) You can never stay on top of it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back