Internet sharing - huge speed problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pork

Im' having a huge problem with sharing the internet on two PC's.

Our home network consists of two dell PC's (one fairly new, one slightly oler), and a laptop (all running Windows XP).

The modem is connected to a netgear router, which is connected to the two PC's with wires. The laptop connects wirelessly.

When one of the computers attempts to browse the internet, it works fabulously fast. No problems.

However, when the other computer attempts to also browse the internet, one of two things occurs:

a) The newer computer comtinues to browse the internet, as the old computer has no connectivity at all (despite connectivity being stated).

b) Both computers suffer tiny amounts of connectivity, but both offer unbearable browsing speeds.

The odd thing is, the laptop seems unaffected by this. When browsing the internet on either computer, the laptop can also browse the internet at similarly high speeds. I just wish I could say the same about the third computer!

Overall, having two functioning PC's is essential in my household, and at the moment only one computer seems to work at a time.

when newer computer only is on the internet (eg browsing and downloadnig):

New computer ping to google.com = 105ms

older computer ping to google.com = request timed out

This is the huge problem.

p.s

The speed claimed on both PC's is 100MBPS and "connected". On the laptop it says "54.0 mbps. connected"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back