internet suddenly slowed, network PCs stay fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO here's my setup....

main machine in quesiton is hardwire ethernet to router, router is ethernet to DSL modem, DSL modem hooked up to wall. All physical hookup is fine.

Other wireless networked PCs have remained fast with their internet connection, but allofasudden the machine that's connected via ethernet cable to the router instead of wireless has slowed down dramattically on the internet. firefox and thunderbird are both drooped down to minimal transfer rates, and IE does the same.

I've done an ad-aware check and ewido mal-ware check and nothing's fixed it.
It's got to be something in the PC cuz the rest of my networked machines have stayed real fast!

what could be wrong??

Bad network card? Bad cable? Bad port on the router?

Try another ethernet cable, try forcing the ethernet speed and duplex in the Device Manager, try using another port on the router, try with another network card.

Swapped cables between router/net-card and router/modem... not too much has changed.

Is there any way to find out if the Netowrk card is still ok?

I'm gonna buy a pair of new CAT5 cables to see if those are the problem.

Forced Full Duplex on te network card, and that helped a tad.
Moved the PC from port 1 to port 4 on the router... not much of a change either.

Any other suggestions?

Change to 10 Mbit half duplex for the most foolproof setting of all.

Really, the only sure way to test NIC problems is to usa another NIC. Do you have the latest driver for your ethernet contorller?

Either the driver was fudged or the circuitry was fried when my PSU got fried last week.

I installed a PCI network card and connected to my new super-hi-speed cable internet and got excellent speed response.

So half 10 duplex is good for me?

I have no idea..

10Mbit is more resistant to noise, so if you have a bad connetion somwhere, it is more likely to work than 100Mbit. You do lose in speed of course (that is if your internet connection is more than 10Mbit). 100Mbit full duplex is the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back