Invisible Firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browncoat

I'm trying to connect to Sock puppet that's on my home computer at work. I know I can, because I can ping it from work, but something is blocking it because I know I have the right port number. I can't figure out what though. Both xp, but the server is on home edition, and my laptop is professional. Both service packs 2, so I know it has windows firewall, but I opened the port on there with the program. I have a linksys router that I configured like your suppose to for RealVNC on portforward.com, but I still can't connect. It's driving me crazy. Can anyone help?!

If you configured it for RealVNC, then your sock puppet should be confiogured to listen on the same port as RealVNC by default :)

Also, your ISP may be blocking incoming connections. Check your terms of service.

no, that's not what I mean. I mean the idea that on my router I have to foward ports by putting "Start_22 End_22" to open port 22. I put the firewall down, and unchecked "Block Anoynomus internet requests" like it does on WRT54GS, but I have WRT54GS version 4, and it doesn't say to take down the firewall on that instruction, or to uncheck "block anoynomus internet requests". It just says to put under start and end the port number you want.

I checked event viewer, and it says it can't use the same port number when something else is using it. The Source is WinVNC4, which I deleted, and uninstalled vnc program, but It still won't work. So it's either router, or an invisible firewall.

Uhm.. What exactly did you do. And which guide did you follow?

Anonymous internet requests means blocking ping requests. It has nothing to do with port forwarding. The "firewall" on the router only blocks some known attack patterns and has nothing to do with port forwarding either.

So, just put in the port in the port forwarding section, save settings and reboot the router. Try connecting to your forwarded port using your public IP address.

Run "telnet your.local.ip.address XX" where XX is the port that your program was configured to run on. If you get a blank screen with a blinking cursor, the connection succeeded. Everything is OK on your computer.

I don't know if your Linksys allows loopback gonnections, but you can try.
Run "telnet your.public.ip.address XX" where XX is the port your forwarded on the router. If you get a blank screen with a blinking cursor, the connection succeeded. Everything is OK on your router.

on portforward.com I went to WRT54GS and then RealVNC and the instructions on there in order for me to connect to the server from the client is to uncheck those things. I thought it would be the same if I was connecting to my socks proxy server from work, so I just start - end port 22. and I thought I had to bring down the router firewall to connect to the server. Are you saying to run telnet thing on the computer with the server? Or on my laptop at work? And what about loopback connections?
I checked event viewer, and something weird came up, but not sure if it'll help.

"The description for Event ID ( 2003 ) in Source ( EAPOL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The event log file is corrupt.."

This is on my laptop at work, and must be when i tried connecting to the server, and the host pc has the same message, but with the source WinVNC4, which I deleted, and uninstalled the program that it came with.

Do the testing on the server computer or some other computer that is not at your workplace. You may have some very smart firewalls there that will only interfere.

Set up things step-by-step, please. Start with the server computer and test a local connection using your laptop at home, then move on to your router and again, test from your own home or some unrestricted place like your neigbour's network or a public wifi hotspot. Only after that is running, see if you can connect from work.

I could telnet both local, and external ips from my laptop at my house, but I don't think it works when I'm at work, I'm going to try it today, but if it doesn't, then what does it mean? It's really weird cause I know a co-worker that does this using the same programs I'm using, and he has no problem doing it.

ok, I see the blinking thing on a blank screen when I telnet from work, so what now? It's the same with my laptop at home too, only this time I did it on port 21 at work.
But I still can't connect to it with socks cap. This is driving me crazy. And my neigbours probably don't even have a computer on one side, and the other side is a crack house, so I"m not even gonna try.

port 20,21 are ftp. ssh uses 22.

you need the admin at work to tell you which ports are open on the firewall

The co-worker I said about knows, ports 21, 22, and 23. He uses 23. It's not saying(when trying to connect with sockscap) that the request was refused. It's just not getting me to the websites. Keeps saying it can't find server.

Like I said, I can ping it, and I did that telnet thing and there was a blank screen with a blinking cursor, which nodsu said it means that it connected. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I just checked out the log on sockscap. It says it's connecting, but the server requests authentication type:50.
Then "Proxy Auth failed:Server returned auth_failed"
Then "Socket closed requested"
I have no idea what the heck that means.

Looks like the SOCKS bit in your home machine wants a username/password. Did you set one up?

thought I did, but I can check into that again. That seems like it could be the problem. I won't be able to check until saturday, can you guys stick with me until then?

I can ****ing telnet, and ping, and it still can't connect to this freakin server. Keeps saying the same thing and I'm putting in the right password and username. The ip keeps changing on the host, but I called home and saw what the new ip was and still can't connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back