IP address problems with ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 8 client LAN at my office which runs on Windows 2000. My server ('server 1'--LAN server) has the IP address 192.168.0.1 for the LAN.

I want to use one of my clients for my internet connection server ('server 2'--internet connection server) on the LAN. When I use the ICS Networking Wizard, I quickly run into a conflict in which it wants to assign 'server 2' the IP address 192.168.0.1.

How does one get around the static address conflict when the LAN server and internet connection servers are 2 different machines?

Thanks!

While setting up server 2, disconnect server 1 temporarily.
Once server 2 is set up, change its IP-address to e.g. 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.101, as long as it is in the 192.168.x.x range. Then reconnect server 1

Well, I'm using Windows XP Home on an AMD based computer. Apparently ICS is not supported in the '64 Bit version'. I hear there are secondary vendors who write programs for creating an internet server for a small LAN. Any comments or suggestions?

If you have any of the server flavours of these operating systems you could use NAT which is far superior. You set that up by running the Routing and Remote Access Wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back