IPX connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Originally posted in "Gaming and Cosoles" forum, but I found this problem even more related to this forum]:

Hello.
I'm having a quite annoying problem.. hope that you'll be able to help me..
I was trying to play Red Alert 2 with my friend on LAN, but it didn't really work.
I know that this game requires IPX protocol on both comps in order to work, and I enabled it, but it didn't help.
I have two network cards on each of the comps, and enabled IPX protocols in all of them. I also tried all forms of IPX Frame Types on both of the computers, but it still didn't work.

I was told to try and test DirectPlay via the DirectX. At first, the two comps couldn't even detect each other, but when i changed the Frame Type to Ethernet II / Ethernet 802.2 - one of the comps did detect the other, but couldn't connect to it for some reason.

I was also told that RA2 works on IPX Frame Type 802.3, but as I said, I've already tried that, and it didn't work..

I'm using a crossover cable, not a router, and network is working with ICS.
The host comp's OS is Win XP, and the other is Win 98 SE..

Help would be greatly appreciated :]
TIA.

[Since I can't even connect between the two comps via the dxdiag (using IPX Protocol), I think that this problem is more general and related to the IPX Protocol, rather than to the specific game.
More information about the problem in https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=170491 - 7th post there (mine)]

Make sure you asign an IP address for each computer. (ie.. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2).

Enable IPX on both computers.

Disable firewalls.

That is what I do and it worked.

Nodsu: I realized that IP has nothing to do with IPX, but still, isn't it weird that one of the comps (the client in my network) has no IP (0.0.0.0)? Doesn't it say anything about my connection between the comps? Couldn't this thing affect other things (like IPX)?

tdeg: IPX is enabled on both comps (on the XP comp - NWLink's Protocol, and I'm not sure which exact protocol in the 98SE comp. Does that matter?), firewalls are disabled.
Can you please tell me your configurations for the IPX Protocol in each of the comps in your network please (i.e internal network number, frame type and the network number)? And in which network card did you set them on the server comp (if you're using ICS like me, you probably have 2 network cards on the server comp)? And what is the Operating System in each of the comps?
Thanks.

I have never used IPX betwene two computers with ICS.. My experience is limited to environments with 10 hosts minimum running NT/Linux/Netware :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back