Irish modem connection - what cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absinthe Minded

Hello all,

I'm setting up an (old) laptop for a friend in Ireland (Republic of), he just wants to use it for dial-up internet access. I live in the UK so the idea is to buy all the stuff I need before I go, as it's way cheaper here and my friend lives miles from anywhere so it will be difficult to get hold of stuff when I'm there.

Will any modem work (I'm looking for a USB external type), or do I need something special? Also, what leads do I need to connect to the phoneline? Are the connections there the same as we use here (RJ-11)?

If anyone can help, I'll be eternally grateful!

Thank you all.

A.M.

ok;
modems are all RJ11
NICs are all RJ45

I discourage USB->someAdaptor for networking -- just alot of problems there.
IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, use the existing devices on the system.

get specific make/model#/ and versions for the NIC, modem and any wireless card

if there's a DSL modem or Cable modem, get the make/model#/ and versions
of them too.

Download the manuals and firmware updates FOR ALL DEVICES
to a USB-Thumb drive and then you can mount it and perform maintenance as required on site.

Also take a copy of Tools:

Thanks jo,

Please bear with me here....

I have three options for the modem: 1) USB; 2) RS232 (I think); and 3) PCMCIA slot. I was told that RS232 is a pain to set up and the PCMCIA modems I have looked at are more expensive than the USB's and are V.90's (whereas the USB's are V.92). This is why I thought I'd go for USB. There is no onboard modem with the laptop.

So, for the wiring:

Obviously, the modem connects to the laptop via USB, what comes after that? Is it an RJ45 out of the modem and into a RJ45>RJ11 adapter that plugs into the wall socket?

Good idea about the thumb drive; I'll do that!

Thanks again for your message - much appreciated.

A.M.

Edit: This is just old fashioned dial-up that I'm setting up. They don't yet have broadband in their area.

So, for the wiring:
Obviously, the modem connects to the laptop via USB, what comes after that? Is it an RJ45 out of the modem and into a RJ45>RJ11 adapter that plugs into the wall socket?
dial-ups go modem---rj11---walljack regardless of what kind of modem.
your issue will be, How does the Ireland phones differ from B.T.?

Absinthe Minded said:
I have three options for the modem: 1) USB; 2) RS232 (I think); and 3) PCMCIA slot. I was told that RS232 is a pain to set up and the PCMCIA modems I have looked at are more expensive than the USB's and are V.90's (whereas the USB's are V.92). This is why I thought I'd go for USB. There is no onboard modem with the laptop.

got some news here -- THEY'RE ALL RS232! how it seats into the laptop really
doesn't matter at all, as the have to send the right kinds of things to the
phone jack :)

XP has so many issues with USB, it makes me concerned you could get on site
and find yourself between a rock-hardspot, needing a driver and no way to
download it.

If at all possible, try the setup at home on YOUR system first so you know
what to expect when you get there!

Best wishes,

Jeff

RS232 would be the most reliable method and you would have a proper hardware modem instead of some winmodem crap. If you have the proper drivers, then setting it up won't be a problem either. Just make sure that the computer in question actually has a COM port.

Jeff,

Thanks for your continued help - I'm all clear on the cabling now.
Should have mentioned this before: I'll be running 98SE, not xp (laptop too old to cope with that).

Yes, the real question is will the BT plug work in Ireland - any ideas on where I could find that out?

Nodsu, thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

Now, do either of you two have recommendations for a cheap, reliable modem at around 30 to 40 GBP?

Thanks again to you both.

A.M.

Edit: Looks like it's RJ-11 to RJ-11 over there, so that's what I'll take - I'll let you know how I get on after Easter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back