Is a Pentium D good for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbake24

I'm looking for a new computer and saw a good one with a Pentium D. Heres the specs:

Intel Pentium D 925
3.0 GHz
250GB hard drive 72000 RPM
1GB DDR2- definatly need to upgrade
2 PCI express slots :)
eMachines- good or bad?

what do you guys think?

Hot as in temp, or as in really fast? Also are the smaller computers (the ones you can lie down on a flat surface and put a monitor on) much different on the inside than the bigger towers? Just wondering cause I'd like to have one and upgrade it alot and want to be quite familliar with it inside.
Oh and Dell? good or bad? (I've never heard anything bad from them)

Building yourself is much better. eMachines are junk and if it is a small desktop model, they get even warmer than a tower. If you want to seriously game build one yourself. If you use a pre-built there are always limitations and they are more expensive. If you buy a cheapo then you get what you pay for.

Never heard anything from Dell mostly because people who buy from them dont know much about pcs themself. Unless they are lazy and spends moolah on the high end systems.

I'm just building a Dell for myself (just to see how much $$) How 'bout a

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+
17 in. LCD flat panel
1GB dual channel DDR2 (2 DIMMs) expandeble to 4GB
160GB hard drive 72000RPM
48X CD-RW/ DVD Combo Drive

and I plan to upgrade RAM and the vid card

Well.......

Why does everybody "save money" with a CD-RW Combo drive, when a Dual Layer Multi Format DVD Writer is worth about $35.00 USD?
The design power of the Pentium D is 130 Watts. They get real hot.
The emachines T5233 is the number I'm coming up with as a Pent D. It's the only one shown on their web site. They build so many computers for individual retailers. (So you can't find the same number machine at two different stores. It's done for dealer price protection). I don't quite get the "2" PCI-E slots. Is that 2X PCI-E X16 Which would be for SLI, or PCI-E X1, which I'm not sure exactly what it's good for. (Most low to mid-priced boards have 1 PCI-E X16 plus 1 or more PCIE X1). I could be wrong so I might as well admit it and get it over with, in case I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back