Is Antec as good as everyone says??

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasgmc

My computer was unusually quiet today so I poked around and discovered that my power supply fan wasnt working. I have an Antec case with an Antec 300w power supply thats less than a year old. The case didnt come with a manual for the PS. It says on the side Smart Fan but I dont know what that means. I discovered this after an hour of gaming. Im suprised it didnt shut down. Im hoping this was a fluke. Ive repaired 3 computers where the PS went out and took most of the other components with it.

Yes, Antec is as good as everyone says it is.

It's normal; the PSU wasn't very hot so the fan just shut down. Usually the PSU fan doesn't start up in my Enermax till I've had it running for a few minutes. Hey, if it works don't complain ;)

Smart fans are thermostatically controlled but they usually dont stop turning they just slow down when more cooling isnt needed.

I pulled it apart and the fan was bad. If I gave it a few spins with a pensil it would slowly start to turn and then run. I swapped it with one of my case fans and its working fine now.

You also have to realize that "lemons" do exist - Even with top, pricey brands.

For example, I had some Crucial memory that went bad (I've never had memory go bad like that, even after many years of generic stuff!). I've had a WesternDigital drive die and several 3Com modems with many troubles.

Brand isn't everything because it is still hard to control the lemon factor, but better brands usually mean better quality. Just remember, "Buyer beware"

I had a problem with the monitors on my wife's machine going bad. it was the power fluctuations ( brown outs etc.) that were doing them in. since I put her machine and monitor on a UPS with AVR I havent had any more problems.

a friend of mine went thru about 4 monitors before he figured out it was the "bargain" KVM switcher he had that was doing them in.

That would have to suck, buying a nice monitor and a cheap KVM to switch between comps and frying out your monitors. I have an old piece getting ready to go out, but it seems to just want to hang around.

I think this last one that died was almost dead out of the box. I even asked a couple people in the channel on whether the middle portion of a 19"CRT was supposed to be a bit blurrier than the edges. This one is the same model and its crisp in the center.

I bought a new antec 300w to replace this burnt Deer piece of crap psu. The Antec's come with a 3 year warranty, you probably voided yours when you opened the psu.
:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back