Is ATI Radeon 9200 overheating motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a gamer, just a programmer using Windows XP. Intel Active Alert Monitor says temperature exceeds maximum 140 degrees F. in
system zone 2. I removed motherboard from chassis and ran outside of box with no metal contact. Problem still exists. Replaced with an identical Intel D865PERL motherboard and got same issue.

I noticed that this occurs whenever the screen saver with high-level graphics is running. I haven't noticed this problem except when PC has been sittiing unused for a bit. Switching to the Windows XP screen saver eliminates problem; but the cpu, motherboad, video card are 2 months old, so I don't like using a "workaround". Plus, I do play some games on occasion.
Anything I can do?

Most 9200s use a passive heatsink instead of a heatsink/fan which can get really hot when the card is stressed. Some cards have holes where you can install a fan. Do you have a space in the front of your case for a case fan to blow on the card?

Is ATI Raden 9200 overheating motherboard/

The position of the AGP is opposite the hardrive mounting slots. There is a fan mounted there, plus one of the two rear fans is near the video card. I do have a spot in the front panel for a fan. There are 2 there as well, plus I have a side panel fan, too.
However, since I still got this problem with the m/b outside of the chassis (sitting in a board), I wonder if another fan will help much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back