Is feasable to replace a suspected Psu fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimpuliti

PC won't boot, I suspect the Fan in PSU may have died or will because of a weird sound it makes. If not I probably must replace PSU

Current unit is a POWMAX 400w in an ATX mid tower.
Mobo Chaintech zn3-250, 1gb Ram, 120 Maxtor HD, 300GB Sata HD,CD-rw ROM 52x , DVD, Vid bd GEFORCE MX40 64MB

The PSU should work even without the fan (until it overheats), so you probably have to replace the whole thing.

But yeah, you won't break anything with this fan replacement exercise. Just make sure you replace it with something rated for the same voltage and less-or-equal power/amperage.

Hi Jimpuliti,

check out this thread on troubleshooting your no-POST/no-BOOT problem.

but to answer your question, yes it is possible to change the fan in your PSU. but I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you're doing because there are dangerous voltages in a PSU (even when it's unplugged) that can shock you real bad.

it would still be a very wise decision to replace that PSU (regardless of whether or not it's the cause of your problem). Powmax POS's (oops, I mean PSU's ;)) are absolute garbage. They are on just about every list of crap PSUs you can find, including Hardforum's list of Unscrupulous Power Supply Companies. they often can't even put out 1/2 of their rated wattage, and have almost no protection circuitry. They have been known to blow out smoke and even catch on fire when overloaded (google it). hopefully the PSU died on it's own and didn't take anything else out with it.

Cheers :wave:

Directly answering to your question, you can replace the PSU fan, but in my opinion, it's not worth the hassle.

You can get a way more powerful, reliable PSU like THIS ONE for under 46 bucks.

Thanks to Korrupt,Nodsu,King Cody, and Wolfram for their input. I will review the thread indicated on POST thoroughly b4 acting. I was surprised at the poor rep of POWMAX CO.
Probably safest way is to replace the unit. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back