Is it just me?

Smurf

Is it just me or was life a lot simpler in the 'good old days' of DOS? There was no problem with programs chucking files everywhere on your hard drive. You didn't even need a hard drive! My first PC, a Commodore PC1, had 512K of RAM, green screen monitor and a 5 1/4" floppy. I stuck the floppy in, turned on and booted to DOS 3.1 If I wanted to uninstall a program - simple, just don't put the floppy in :) Okay, no internet but there were hundreds of bulletin boards (including my own). Broadband? No chance. Modem speeds if you were lucky were 14400. In fact my first modem was 1200 download,75 upload (on a Commodore 64).

Ah, memories :)

But good old days are just good old days.

But still u have to say that the functionality have increased greatly.

While things were indeed simpler then (I remember all of that well), people will always want more....bigger....better (whether or not it's really better is still circumspect)...and faster. It's human nature and we just go with the flow.

Nope....not just you. ;)

Good Old Days?

To be honest, I don't think I would have entered this industry if computers remained simplistic command line/nonGUI devices. I learned DOS when I first went to school for computers and it was definitely a valuable skill. I even still use that knowledge today when I do command-line tasks in XP. I feel the same nostalgia regarding DOS and the 5.25 floppy, BUT the future of personal computing and the way it has advanced in just the last decade thrills and intrigues me. I feel extremely lucky to be a part of such a phenomenon where the number of transistors on a tiny piece of silicon grows at such an exponential rate. God forbid that our technology should ever stop evolving at the exciting rate it has. Did anyone see the news story of people trying to map the human brain with an IBM system that is capable of 22.8 teraflops?

These are exciting times. I'm personally looking forward to the time when 3D gaming reaches rendering levels as realistic as what we watch on TV. This will certainly necessitate new ratings for the FPSs.

Dual-core? I want an octal-core system with a RAM disk that has replaced those obsolete hard drives that actually used electro-mechanical (moving) parts (the number one slowest bottleneck in today's PCs, but still my favorite component), and fiber plugged directly into my mobo for my link to "Internet 3".

I'm only 30 years old and I love to dream about what will be available to us when I'm 50 (God willing I'm still here).

What's beyond silicon?

Back