Is it worth overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to overclocking (did it before, but due to my new system, I'm a little afraid and unsure) so I'd like to ask you all a question:

I have:
Gigabyte K8NSC-939 Socket 939 Mobo
Athlon 3500+ Venice
2 GB of Mushkin SP3200 Memory
6600GT BFG

Now, is it worth overclocking? How much speed/increase will I get from this - and is it relatively safe? If I do overclock, I'm planning on using stock cooling (my CPU idles at 29C and during 2 hrs of BF2, it tops out at 34C). But I dont think my memory has a fast enough timing to really push an OC. So for those who are pros at this, please give me some guidance and suggestions.. Thanks guys!

You have a pretty good setup for this day and age. I don't really think overclock will help you much.
If your system runs stable, leave it alone. Maybe just check the timings on your RAM that they are the recommended.

i agree with vigilante. you have got a good rig and overclocking really isn't nessesary.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking about an OC - but my memory's timing are pertty slow - it's something like 3-3-3-8 or something like that.. is that a bad thing? Is there a way to optimize that?

generally no - unless you want to stress your system and also violate your CPU warranty. I tried overclocking and wound up burning out a good CPU. Painful mistake, I will never push my CPU way beyond its limits again.

I don't overclock until the CPU starts feeling dated. If the newer games start to chug, newer programs just don't run so quickly etc., and I have an old CPU.... I overclock.

Your current CPU is fine for anything you can toss at it these days. Maybe in a year or so think of overclocking to give you a few extra months before you upgrade it.

I have a gig Corsair XMS Extreme kit (2 512s running dual channel). This RAM was sold as "very low latency" and it also runs at 3-3-3-8. So it must be pretty good!

Thanks guys. OK so I guess I'll wait a year or so before I risk burning out this bad boy. :grinthumb I guess I'm just getting greedy -- especially now that BF2 runs like fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back