Is it worth upgrading my mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zazazoom

Hey all, I want to do a small upgrade...basically change my mobo from a p4s533-E to a P4P800SE
just cuz i have an AIW x800XT with X8 AGP and my mobo only runs x4 max :p
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Asustek_MB_ASUS_P4P800SE_865PE_ICH5_RET~r-1~CLT-INTR~RFR-www.google.ca

probably difficult to find one :) but i wanna try..

my processor is a northword 2.4 p4
1gig ocz RAM
antec true power 2.2 550W
p4s533-e
diamondmax 250 hdd
x800xt AIW
Audigy SB live

i only do this if i can get the mobo for cheap...i'm sure my video card is being bottlenecked!
just wanna be sure i won't have any problems switching my mobo from the p4s533-e to the P4P800SE :p

Your video card is being bottlenecked by ur CPU mainly, not by the slot speed. AGP 4x vs 8x has almost no effect on frame rates. Change to a Pentium D or to an AMD Athlon/Sempron and u will see the difference.

If you still want to change your mobo, avoid SiS chipsets at all costs. For Intel CPU's, stick with Intel chipsets. For socket 478, the I865PE is a good choice, and if you can, enable dual channel mode.

I865PE what brand is that?
how much do you think i would be spending for all that? just for the sake of keeping my agp :p

man i think i might as well just save up for a whole new rig and invest 2grand on it or somethin!

Its a gigabyte p4 board. If you want to stay with amd 32bit then the abit nf7-s mobo is the best on the market i recon!!!!

zazazoom said:
I865PE what brand is that?
That is the Intel 865PE chipset used on many 478 mobos. The Asus P4P800SE would be fine if you can find one. The Asus P4P800 Deluxe is better and uses it too. The Asus P4C800 Deluxe is real good and uses the Intel 875 chipset. I think all of these are now out of production. You may find one somewhere, sure on ebay.

I you want to do a major upgrade, the thing to do is to find the processor that you want first, then find a mobo that supports it!!!!!

that board is the one wolfram was recommending >_<
Damn..I just want to savour my X800XT with whats left of the best AGP boards around >_< soo hard to find!

btw: thanks for your responses ppl!

Actually, I wasn't recommending a specific board :haha:

I was just recommending the Intel 865PE chipset. The better thing, would be to get another mobo, with a newer socket. Socket 939 would be the best, and economical choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back