Is it worth upgrading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to improve the (speed) performance of my old Dell XPS T600. It currently has 128MB of RAM installed and a 32MB NVidia video card. Is it worth upgrading? If yes, which upgrade will have more impact system RAM or a faster video card?

Depends

What are the main funtions of this machine ? If it is used only for e-mail, web and word, spening a few extra bucks upping your RAM to 512mb would probably be all you need and maybe a hard drive update if you are into downloading any large media files, but if you plan on doing any modern gamming id have to reccomend scraping it and buying/building somthing more up to date.

If you list any specifics you do or want to do with this machine it will be a little more helpful

Take care.

To determine if the PC is worth an upgrade, we would need the rest of the system's specs, please post them.

To answer your other question, more RAM will benefit the system more than a faster graphics card. 128MB of RAM is ridiculously low nowadays...
You are looking for a performance increase correct? A memory upgrade will do just that. A graphics upgrade will just enhance the visuals.

other system specs: OS=XP home Ed; CPU=PII-600Mhz; 128M PC100 (400mhz) RAM; 80G WDC HD, NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 32M video card, not sure what else is relevant here.

intended uses: all MS Office products, e-mail, web surfing, playing Runescape

Can I substitute PC133 for PC100 RAM?

Ram

Upgrade the RAM, for $40 or less you will notice a drastic improovment in the applications you run. I can tell you are a die hard kinda guy that if it works, why buy somthing new....Well for the uses that you mentioned there is no reason upgrade.....Just beef up the memory....For the game you play, just wait till u upgrade to a new system..

If the only game you want to play is Runescape, then your system seems to meet the recommended requirements (more than minimum). As such, I think a better graphics card would give you a noticeable improvement. However, if possible, get more RAM too. You can probably use PC133 instead of PC100. I have an old Dell XPS T750r which came with PC125 RAM. I added one stick of PC133 with no problems.

Bluemouse said:
be careful to go with the same frequency and brand if you are putting in more than1 stick of ram

That's in general, in use today for newer computers. Older computers that accept SDRAM generally accept multiple speeds and brands. All of my previous SDRAM computers were all mixed with brand and speed and it was fine.

Click the little red triangle ontop of the post to report to the mods

And that ad was probably the most random I ever seen on Techspot :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back