Is my atlon64 3k running too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

admiralfreeman

i have a athlon64 3000+ and it runs 45 idle and 55 loaded but often my pc restarts not as if i shut it down restart i mean literaly as if the reset button was pushed what does this mean power heat faulty hardware any input is good input .

cheers

Your temperatures seem to be in good standing.
What temperature monitor are you using to read these temps? Speedfan, Everest, PC Wizard, or another program? (or BIOS)

These restarts could be the result of a cheap or a power supply that cannot supply enough power to the system. I.E. a 300W PSU trying to power a 7600GT.
Please post the rest of your system specs so I can view them and try and determine the problem. Please also include your PSU wattage and voltages.

athlon64 3000+
1gig ddr 2700
x700 pro agp 256mb
400w psu(nothing special 30quid cheapy)
gigabyte k8vt800
120gig maxtor ata133
dvd rewriter
and a stock fan for cpu

1.) if your CPU was overheating, then your system would just shut down, not restart. If the system is plain restarting (no blue screen, etc) then the problem is most likely your rubbish PSU. Chances are that thing doesn't produce 400W, and whatever current that it actually can provide will not be enough on the +12V rail which is where it's needed the most.

2.) those temps are too high for an Athlon64. the max operating temp for that CPU is 65C.

even with the stock fan that comes with it you should be running at about 25C~30C idle, and 30C~40C under load (make sure you use thermal paste/grease and not a cheap thermal pad)

55 degrees under load isn't too high...
Mine idles at 33 degrees and under load can get up to 50. I've never had any problems with it.

KingCody said:
if your CPU was overheating, then your system would just shut down, not restart.

I beg to differ. As far as I know, when a component (not necessarily the CPU only) overheats, the comp will restart. This is especially true if the computer keeps restarting without even getting to the OS part.

But as I said, something else may be overheating, not the CPU. The PSU can overheat, and so can GC and RAM.

PSU overheating is dangerous, not only it produces "shaky" voltages, it is a fire hazard.

i use motherboard monitor 5 and yes u right i do get slightly off voltages.

honestly not opinion or what do i need to run the cpu psu wise 450 500 and i havent got a bugget much over 40 quid for a psu

CMH said:
I beg to differ. As far as I know, when a component (not necessarily the CPU only) overheats, the comp will restart. This is especially true if the computer keeps restarting without even getting to the OS part
depending on the mobo, 2 things can happen when a CPU overheats:
1. the CPU will continue to run too hot until it burns up and "fries", or
2. the mobo will shut the system down once a certain temp has been reached

most mobos (and pretty much all modern mobos) have auto-shutdown once the CPU had reached a certain temp (this temp if often times user-selected, and usually defaults to about 10C below the CPU's rated max die temp)

i have never heard of a mobo that restarts a system after a CPU has overheated, they all shut down the system to allow it to cool down

If a system keeps restarting pre-OS load, you have another problem, not an overheating CPU

hey you are both right in a sense so why don't we get back to helping out admiralfreeman and quite jacking his thread with and argument...peace be to all, and give help where needed..hence the thread that was started he today by admiralfreeman...admiral..love the pic by the way.. when the system just reboots itself do you notice any wierd activity before that like the case fans slowing down slower than usual and or the case lights diming then the reboot happens..these are good signs to look for when power is an issue..also that x700 more than likely needs a minimal 350 watt power supply and a 15 or above on the amperage rating on the 12v rail..so i would have to agree that it is you PSU that you need to replace mate.. how much is 40 quid i am a dollars kind of guy..

thnx dude na tbh honest im near death with my headset i play my games far too loud and pay too much attenstion to them the pc just seems to restart and i get a windows errorr statin it has recovered froma critical error and asks weather i can send info i natrauly click no power to the people down with the government(microsoft) lol :).

yeah cheers good pick i know wanted my sig to work but dosent display hehe.
no pre o/s rebots though.

and 40 quid is exactly(tanks to yahoo.com/finance $69.52.

advice on a blazing one for that amount would be so apreciated
thanks all u real nice peeps (BRITAIN LOVES YOU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back