Is my computer beyond repair??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PointZero

Hi, I hope someone can help me because I have a feeling that my computer is destined to never work properly again.

The run down: My OS (Microsoft Windows XP Home) is completely messed up, I have no icons and no start menu. The only thing I can see is my background. When I try to run "Explorer.exe" in the "Create New Task" prompt it says "Windows can not find Explorer.exe." I have used this before when my explorer would have an error and it would bring everything back up. Next, I tried to repair my OS by running the repair feature on the CD, but in order to do so you need to have an adminstrator password. I dont remember ever setting a password and I have forgotten the default password. Either way, when I try to open up the control panel from the "Create a new task" it says that it is also not found. So with that option out the window, I saved all my valuable files and was going to run my restore disc that came with my machine. I set my computer to boot from the CD but when it tried it gave me an error saying "Cannot boot from CD: Error code 4" ... so now I am totally and utterly lost as to what I need to do to repair my machine. So if ANYONE has ANY idea on how I can fix this please let me know... i'm willing to try just about anything at this point. Also, I suppose as another little side note, I have been trying (and failing miserably) to fix the sound on my computer. I've tried to install new drivers repeatedly and it still doesn't work.

Here are my system specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
Motherboard: Asus P5N-SLI (Chipset: nForce 570 Intel)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Corsair at 667MHz
Hard Drive: 320GB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8500GT 256MB

That may be way more than anyone needs to know for this but i'm just throwing it all out there in hopes that someone knows how to fix this issue. Thanks!

ok first is this a burn copy of xp or the original copy when you get that code it most of the time means that it could not find the boot image try it on another computer to see if it works and post back as for the admin code if you goggle ubcd4win you can download a program that will help you creat a boot cd with lots of tools to help you fix any computer you will need an xp sp2 cd to create the boot cd when done all you do is burn the image and then boot from cd when you boot let it auto start then go to start-->programs-->password tools-->Password Renew and follow the instructions to renew the admin or any you need to. hopes this helps

Did you try booting in safe mode. If you can do it then the problem may be a device driver issue and this you can detect by removing boards one at a time and see which one is causing the problem. I suspect the video card, but I could be totally incorrect

How would I find out if my CD/DVD drive is a SCSI device?

Also, I CAN boot in safe mode but it's the same as if I boot up normal, no icons or startup menu or anything of the sort.

I appreciate the replies!

PointZero said:
How would I find out if my CD/DVD drive is a SCSI device?

Also, I CAN boot in safe mode but it's the same as if I boot up normal, no icons or startup menu or anything of the sort.

I appreciate the replies!

hey well if you have not done anything to this computer and you still want to do a repair install but you get the admin code you do not know try this reg file i attached it removes the requirement for an administrator account password so all you should have to do when asked for the code is leave it blank and hit enter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back