is my graphic card broken? or is it my comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trova

my friend gave me a graphic card ((ATI RADEON model AIW 8500dv. 64 mb i think)) anyways, so i put it in my comp and when i turned it on, it was black and said "no signal" so then, i checked out some forums and i disabled my current card ((SiS 630/730)) and then retried putting it in, but still no luck. is it the card thats broken? or is it not compatible with my comp? my comp doesnt have an agp slot so i stuck it in some other one, im pretty sure it was the right slot, since it was the only one that worked, anyways, any help would be great, thanks u guys.

unless you are clearly forcing it, the card is in the right slot (agp). in your mobo's bios, try setting promary video adapter to AGP instead of onboard, if not already done so. i had a 8500agp card and it worked fine for years. the the computer an OEM make (mass-produced prebuilt)?

im not sure if i fried the card because, i didnt smell anythign burning or and smoke so.. i think its still in good shape

Well I didn't mean you actually fried the card, but you probably screwd the gold plates up by forcing it into a PCI slot when its really a AGP card.

SheHateMe said:
Well I didn't mean you actually fried the card, but you probably screwd the gold plates up by forcing it into a PCI slot when its really a AGP card.
i didnt force it, i just slipped it in, but then the monitor didnt work

Inspect the slot where you put the card. The 8500DV *IS* an AGP videocard, so it will not fit in a PCI slot- just an AGP slot.

If you tried to force an AGP card into a PCI slot, the shank off the end of the card will be hanging outside the slot and the keyway in the PCI slot has either been broken or otherwise.

Is it possible you do indeed have an AGP slot in your computer? It's very, very difficult to jam an AGP card into a PCI slot, so more than likely you do indeed have an AGP slot.

If you download and unzip CPU-Z:
http://www.cpuid.org/download/cpu-z-130.zip

The 2nd tab has video information near the bottom. Run this and report if it states there is an AGP slot in your system.

Trova said:
the second tab is cache, where does it say if i have an agp slot?
Sorry! 3rd tab; "Mainboard"
At the bottom it will say "Graphic Interface" and this should help determine if you have an AGP card.

Also, if you can screen capture that entire 3rd tab, knowing your mainboard will also help us look up the capabilities of your mainboard.

sorry if its a tad small, stupid photobucket resized it, ugh

comp.jpg

Hi Trova,
The Asus A7S-LE indeed shows specifications of having an AGP slot. So you do have the 8500DV in the correct slot. This is a Sony VAIO PC, correct?

Unfortunately, you have to do some fancy footwork in order to get your system to recognize and use an AGP board... and some special steps needed for this DV version of the card.

Here's the steps:
1) Ensure you have the latest BIOS from SONY for your PC flashed. You should hit the sony website/support area and see if there are new BIOS's available for your exact model of PC.
2) With the latest BIOS installed, you'll need to disable the on-board SiS video in the BIOS or with a jumper. According to your last post, you're familiar with how to properly disable the on-board video. Do this again, then power off the computer for the new videocard installation.
3) After inserting the 8500DV into the AGP slot, it has a small molex connector near the back/bottom of the board. You will need to plug a hard-disk power cable into that molex connector before powering up the board. If you do not have a spare 4-prong power connector, you can buy a power-splitter to split another one.
---
At this step, you should be able to get the PC to at least boot up/POST test with the board installed. The "No Signal" problem should no longer occur... provided you have your monitor plugged into the new videocard and not the old on-board hehe.

You now have a few steps to do in order to get Windows to use/recognize the board.

1) Hit:
http://www.sis.com/download/
On this page, in the boxes mid-screen, select:
"Chipset Drivers"
then
"AGP (GART) driver"
then on the last box, select your operating system (I'm assuming "Windows XP"... not XP 64!).

Download and install these drivers.

Then hit www.ati.com, use the Customer Care/Find a Driver link at the top of their page and grab the 5.9 Catalyst drivers with Control Panel. Install these and you should be in business.

Hi Trova

It certainly sounds like a hardware problem. Check:

1) That your card really is an AGP card.
2) You've fit it into the AGP slot properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back