Is my new power supply bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosewill makes some pretty shoddy power supplys but if it works I guess it's ok. You system temp is fine but your CPU is running way to hot.

I was getting my CPU temp from the BIOS and it was saying that the temp was 132f. I just downloaded the freeware MBM 5 (motherboard monitor) and it says my CPU temp is 114f.

What one should I trust?

I would think the BIOS would be more accurate but who knows. Do have an Intel CPU? If so you can download TAT and see what the temp shows on that. Oh and 114f is a lot better than 132f but it's still running hot. Do you have Air conditioning? Is it hot in the room where the computer is? Does your board have smart fan or a similar feature?

rgreen said:
I would think the BIOS would be more accurate but who knows. Do have an Intel CPU? If so you can download TAT and see what the temp shows on that. Oh and 114f is a lot better than 132f but it's still running hot. Do you have Air conditioning? Is it hot in the room where the computer is? Does your board have smart fan or a similar feature?
It's not hot in the room, it's actually cool and the case is open right now. I'm waiting on my new PSU and I have a temp (piece of crap) PSU in there for now. I have an Intel 2.6c HT and the fan and heat sink came with the CPU. I just cleaned the CPU and heatsink and used some high-density polysynthetic silver thermal compound. I don't get why it's so hot.

EDIT: I just installed TAT and when I try to run it I get an error, say invalid processor, but I have an intell, WTF?

Well if 114f is the right temp it's not that bad but bios is probably the more accurate and 132f imho is way too hot. The RPMs on your cpu fan ok? Maybe you should upgrade your heatsink? Are you overclocking?

I think -5V is a legacy voltage so you might not notice a problem if your PC doesn't use it. However, your 12V rails at 11.6V are marginal.

rgreen said:
Well if 114f is the right temp it's not that bad but bios is probably the more accurate and 132f imho is way too hot. The RPMs on your cpu fan ok? Maybe you should upgrade your heatsink? Are you overclocking?
My fan RPMs are low, 2766.
I Never overclock, when I built this system it was fast enough for any game at the time, 4 years ago. I don't game much anymore, but I just loaded call of duty to see what the temps are under stress and while gaming it goes to 145f then when I shut the game off it goes right back to 114f. If the BOIS is the accurate reading then I'm probably reaching temps of 165 175 and I think that would burn out the chip, so I think the BOIS readings are off, I hope. I see no reason this system should be running hot, warm I understand with the low fan speed but I can't see any reason it would be overheating and it runs great.

I think your right though, my next upgrade will be a new heatsink and fan. Now I need to figure out what kind I need.

i use MBM 5 and i thought that it used the same sensors as the bios, because i get the same temp readings in the program and in my bios.

it's kind of strange that you're getting 2 different temp readings. if you know what socket your mobo is then you could get a good zalman setup for your cpu, that ought to lower your temp a bit.

Daveskater said:
i use MBM 5 and i thought that it used the same sensors as the bios, because i get the same temp readings in the program and in my bios.

it's kind of strange that you're getting 2 different temp readings. if you know what socket your mobo is then you could get a good zalman setup for your cpu, that ought to lower your temp a bit.
I like those heat sinks. Maybe I can get one after vacation, my wife won't let me buy any more computer stuff right now.

You should probably get a better psu. It states 450w but it's only 14A+16A on the 12v rails. Depending on what's on your system that may not be enough. My 305w psu is 17A+18A on the 12v rails=22amps You get what you pay for, $37.99 is pretty cheap for a good 450w psu.

I'm low on $$ at the time, so I just RMA'd this PSU and I think I'll be happy. For 3 years I was using the one that came with the case, I bought the case for $39. If that did me fine for this long, I'm sure this new one will be fine for a while. The voltages are much better:
V Core = 1.5
+3.3 = +3.31
+5 = +5.1
+12 = +12.22
-12 = -11.87
-5 = shows nothing

I'm assuming I don't need the -5, and I looked at the specs for this PSU and it doesn't even show that it supplies -5 so I guess I did OK for the little money I put into it.

Now on to the CPU cooling problem......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back