Is my processor 797 or 1200 Mhz? Overstock.com ripoff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a refurbished Dell Latitude C610 1.2GHz Pentium III Notebook from Overstock.com. When I checked the processor under "System Information" it reads "x86 Family 6 model 11 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~797 Mhz."

Is there anyway that this computer with stated processor speed of 797 Mhz (under Accessories/System Tools/System Information) can be legitimately sold as a 1.2Ghz processer or do I have a valid complaint with Overstock? Under the System Properties menu in the General category it does state "Mobile CPU 1200Mhz" but then beneath that "797 Mhz, 256mb RAM."

I think I've been ripped off but am a relative newbie. Can anyone explain the discrepancy and let me know if I have been ripped off or not?

Thank you

it is very possible that the CPU is underclocking itself in order to save battery power. Is the laptop plugged in when you are checking the clock speed? I know my old sony laptop will underclock the 1ghz PIII to 700Mhz. So check around the options

I wish i was more familiar with the specfic laptop.

Also, you should check BIOS to see if you can increase you FSB there. What FSB is it currently running at?

Sean

if it's a mobile processor it will automatically underclock to save power. Some laptops let you adjust processor speed permanently. Toshiba laptops for example let you adjust power levels to low, medium, high, and full to conserve battery usage.

I would definately add more memory. 256 ain't enough. Memory works best in a laptop as hard drive seeking eats battery power. The more memory, the less the hard drive has to work. I'd max it out and put 1gb in it.

Is clockspeed computed the same in "system properties" vs. "system information"?

Thanks for the tips on lower clock speeds in a laptop. I am getting a variable working clockspeed when I check on the system properties menu--sometimes 526 Mhz, sometime 797.

My real concern is that the max clock speed is only 797. When I check the system specs under Accessories/System Tools/System Information, the "Processor" category consistently reads 797 Mhz (even if the system properties is showing 526 Mhz). My real question I guess is whether the Processor speed listed under Accessories/System Tools/System Information is static and represents the max clockspeed or if it varies and represents the working clockspeed. If it represents the working clockspeed why does it sometimes show a different clockspeed than the System Properties tab and why does it never change (from 797)?

I'm probably missing something obvious here. Thanks for your patience.

Well if it is maxed at 797, you may have a FSB issue.

100Mhz x 12 = 1200MHz
66Mhz x 12 =792 Mhz

Id see if you can up the FSB in BIOS.

You may want to use a programs such as CPU-Z or CPU-ID to get some more info on the Processor.

Go into Control Pannel/Performance and Maintenance/System

See what happenes when you have the laptop plug in and with it not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back