Is my PSU faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dstyles

Hello,
Ive been having random reboots, on a new machine i recently built. EVGA 680i mainboard
8800GTS 640mb
Core2 Duo 2.4ghz
2x1Gb Corsair Ram

I googled my problem and found a guide on this forum saying to run Speedfan 4.32 to check my PSU for voltage consistency.

The program after it opens up shows my temperatures all as blue down arrows except for the HD0 and CPU which are green "Check Marks".
My voltages in the lower left hand corner read:

Vcore: 1.18V
+12V: 9.82V
AVcc: 3.23V

Now my main question is , are these the +3.3v, +5v and +12v rails he speaks about in his post? (https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic44306.html.
If so arent they all off? Atleast the +12V reading more than 2V off seems bad to me. This may seem like a stupid question but im real tight on cash and if i spent what i have on a new really nice PSU and i was wrong about this id be angry.

As a side note in Speedfan the green check mark next to my CPU (which idles around 40C) occasionally turns into a red "up arrow" for about 3 seconds then back to a green check. I havnt seen the temp go over 43C though.

I love this computer except for the random restarts and id be extreamly happy if i could fix it. Appreciate any help you guys could give.

Thankyou,
D

" id be angry "

LOL - you'll be even angrier if you don't and your sweet mobo gets gerfunkled.

Yes, that is TOO low on the 12v rail. Whether that reading is accurate or not is another question. Getting a measurement off of a 12v fan lead might verify that if you have a tester available.

:)

I am not saying this is the case with you, but I have seen speedfan be way off in its readings. Did your mobo come with any monitoring software? If so... this would be the most accurate thing you could use.

Thanks for the fast reply guys. I dont have a voltage tester, but im going to try to hunt down an EVGA utility that might show PSU voltage readouts.

Do you guys know of any other programs that would work that i could use to crosscheck?

Thanks again,
D

---bump---

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Another programme that will show your psu voltages is the free Everest programme.

If it shows the same readings as Speedfan, you should consider getting a new psu asap, before it fails altogether and takes out your valuable components.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

psu problems

I just found this software I dont know how accurate it is but you can try it is called Pc wizard 2007 like I said I don't know how accurate it is but its worth a try

Thanks everyone

Thankyou all who replied and helped me out youve been a big help and i appreciate it.

One final question however if you could please. What 700w+ powersources would you guys recommend. I ask because this one thats likely failing was over $100 i chose it by price on newegg hoping that a higher price would generally mean higher quality (sinse i dont know PSU namebrands).

Any recommendations would be appreciated thankyou.

D

For a brands list, try Antec, Corsair, OCZ, Seasonic, CoolerMaster, PC Power & Cooling, Fortron FSP, Enermax and Thermaltake. I own an OCZ 700W GameXStream and love it. Check out my profile for my system specs. It runs all that fine and looks good too.

Wow you guys were totally right, evereste confirms that the 12v rail is indeed running at ~9v, Is there any setting ont he power supply or a wiring change that could resolve this or is it pretty safe to say it is a hardware abnormality?

This power source is a 750W Thermaltake "Toughpower". It was damn expensive was i just very unlucky to have it do this?

Yeah normally Thermaltake PSUs (especially the ToughPower series) are of good quality. Is it very recently bought? An RMA wouldn't hurt then if it is. Otherwise, you're gonna have to buy a new one. :(

Really unhappy

I went and bought another 180 dollar thermaltake PSU installed it and ran everest again, and the +12v reads exactly the same as it did. ~9v.

This is why i asked earlier if there was any other peice that could be affecting the +12v readout. Can anyone help me please.

Sinse the +12v sensor from everest and speedfan both read ~9v on both of these thermaltake PSU's would the problem seem to be the +12v female connector in the motherboard?

Also the +12v connector is an 8-pin, could i be using the wrong 8-pin connector? There is a regular looking 8pin then a red 8-pin labeled PCI-E, but i thought that was for powering a video card.

Buy an $18 multi-meter and set it for 12v DC and test the outputs of the 12v rails at your fans while running.

You can always use a multi-meter and this will help you determine whether your NEW psu is scrap OR if it is onboard sensor problems.

People here trying to help FREE, so tread lightly.

:)

I appreciate everyones help i dont mean to be disrespectful im jsut frusterated, the most expensive system ive built is giving me by far the most hardware problems. Its really sad when u go the extra mile and pay for high quality components and have them let u down.

Thanks again.

Can anyone suggest a site to purchase a multimeter at? Newegg aparently doesnt have them. I did a google search for them but i found a bunch that dont look to have a 12v setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back