Is my soundcard dead? (Audigy2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlwalshy

Hi there,

I've just moved house and since hooking up my speakers again I'm having problems with my soundcard.

Initially I was only getting sound out of my rear speakers. I switched the cabling around to confirm the other other speakers actually worked. They did.

I decided to remove and install the latest drivers and now I don't have any sound at all.

The device manager says the soundcard is working correctly but I'm at a bit of a loss.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Rob

There are settings within the soundcard programs. On my Audigy it can be set for 2.1 or 4.1 or 5.1 etc. Also there's a page with "CMSS" and "stereo". When I select "CMSS" the speakers all start working. I think that your Audigy is set on just stereo or 2.1. Also there should be a "speaker test page". When you select the 'test' option, a voice comes out of each speaker, naming that speakers position. "Front right"..."Left Right" ..."Front rear" etc. You'll get it. G'Luck.

the clue might lie in the fact you have moved - take the side of the case off and make sure your sound card is properly seated in the slot - would not be the first time a house move has caused this sort of problem.

Thanks for the replies.

I've checked the card is installed properly.

One thing I've noticed is that although the latest driver installed seemingly ok, I don't seem to have any programs to change/test the card. I remember having a piece of software to test each of the speaker channels and other software to change general settings.

Also I tried to uninstall and reinstall the original cd I received when I bought my pc (5 years ago!!) That particular cd tells me it can't find a creative Audigy product!!

Device manager however tells me it's working fine.

My head hurts...:dead:

Are you sure the drivers are for the right operating system? I know for example that the supplied creative drivers for my soundblaster 5.1 livedrive IR cause all sorts of trouble with XP Pro - I had to get another set from some where else long since forgotten.
I still think that if this relates to a house move, there lies the solution.

rlwalshy said:
Thanks for the replies.

I've checked the card is installed properly.

One thing I've noticed is that although the latest driver installed seemingly ok, I don't seem to have any programs to change/test the card. I remember having a piece of software to test each of the speaker channels and other software to change general settings.

Also I tried to uninstall and reinstall the original cd I received when I bought my pc (5 years ago!!) That particular cd tells me it can't find a creative Audigy product!!

Device manager however tells me it's working fine.

My head hurts...:dead:

that right there the driver for the card not finding it says to me that it could have came unseated take the card out and put it back in.

Most i see wrong

I'm sure you where carefull moving it and don't see that the reason.
I've had the Audugy2 and now Audigy 4.They have a habit of changeing
the number of speakers you have.What make and how many do you have ?
Did you get connecting diagrams with yours for L R etc.
Thats the only change moveing would make.Putting them back right.
Do all the tests it has and the dxdiag sound tests.
I have 5.1 and check them quite often.
i recommend the Audigy 4 update (with Remote) if you have 5.1 speakers and rent or play DVD Surround movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back