Is newegg.com trying to cheat me?

erwin1978

Here I am thinking I bought a new MSI K7T Turbo2 motherboard only to notice that this mobo isn't in prestine condition. I just wished they would seal the box with saran wrap so consumers know they are getting new merchandise.

Anyone who bought this mobo from newegg, I need you on this one. I'll do some investigation first before I decide to have this exchanged.

The package has no items missing. What was missing was the yellow, warning tape that seals the anti-static bag. A piece of clear tape was used instead. This lit up some red lights immediately. Perhaps, the original purchaser ripped it off instead of carefully pealing it, like I do when I intend to return a merchandise.:p

Next, when I removed the mobo from the bag, I noticed immediately that there were stains on the surface, front and back. Upon carefully investigation, the stain had a sticky consistency, like when you spill soda and don't clean it off, and after a while the thing turns sticky on you. I'm thinking the original owner spilled something on this mobo and then returned it.

I guess I need some reinforcement from you people, that I'm not just over-reacting and that this is normal?:confused:

Right now I'm doing some burn-in tests to see if anything has been damaged.

---Please watch your language in future. -Phantasm66.

If it was me I'd put it back in the bag, then put the bag into the package...

Then I'd call NewEgg, and tell them that this is unacceptable, and get and RMA nr ASAP...

The longer you wait, the less likely they'll believe it was that way when you got it...

.02$

I agree with Garibaldi, if it was in questionable condition I would return it. I assume this was supposed to be a new board, which clearly it is not.

Its likely that you have received what was a return from someone else. This, believe it not, happens often.

Return it.

I hate return fees. They were created to recover costs of preparing an order. When someone returns something because they decide they don't want it or if they ordered the wrong one, then they should pay a return fee, but if the company made a mistake or shipped a bad product they should have to cover all costs associated with the return. This would both ensure it doesn't happen again as well as keep customers happy.

The sad truth is that money is more important than customer satisfaction, if it weren't, there would be no crappy products on the market.

Newegg is great about returning merchandise. They will prepay your shipping for you if you tell them what's going on. I'm also pretty sure that they will take it back even though it still works without charging return fees.

If they don't, be presistent, mean and assertive.. Ask for management ect.. It will happen because nothing can stop the will of an angry consumer. :)

You won't know until you call though, so call them right away!

I concur with the above statements.

Although, if the system board works, and you can clean the stuff off, you could just keep it if you want and not go through all the trouble. If you find anything wrong with it structurally return it. This is only in the rare situation that you are an incredibly impatient person, which I doubt...

Originally posted by Vehementi
Although, if the system board works, and you can clean the stuff off, you could just keep it if you want and not go through all the trouble.

That isn't the point Veh. He ordered a new board, not a board with sticky crap on it.

I agree with Rick, calling them could help. If you state the problem, don't tell them that you have tried to use the board, only that it has sticky stuff on it and looks used.

Well yeah SB...but that is in the case that he's very impatient. Some people I have met would just clean the stuff off and use it, they're just like that. If it were me I would demand they exchange it at no charge to me at all. I agree with you.

People who just take it as it is only encourage this type of sloppy business. If more people demanded satisfaction when they don't get exactly what they order, then there would be less "mistakes" made and there would be a higher quality of products out there.

I have noticed in the past year that there has been a large number of DOA products shipped. Not only things I've gotten or things I've heard about from you guys, but things at work and things people I know have ordered, etc... It seems that manufacturers are getting shoddy, even the good ones, not to mention the crappy service that vendors give when you have to return that crap.

Sorry about that rant, I had to get that out in the open before it made me go POSTAL.

I wonder if I should bother phoning them for RMA if all they'll tell me is do it online. That's what it says on their website.

My damn. The previous board I purchased from them was a Shuttle AK32L; a budget board. That came in perfect condition. Now, I paid good money for this relatively old MSI board, and I can't help but feel I made a mistake.

Originally posted by StormBringer
I have noticed in the past year that there has been a large number of DOA products shipped.

I concur with that. Two products I have bought have been DOA, first there was my original video card, which I think was a Diamond Viper. And then my most recent purchase, the A7V8x. I later returned the Diamond Viper and promptly bought a Matrox G400, and I have yet to receive the replacement A7V8x.

That's two products for the last two complete systems (for myself) that I have built.

Originally posted by erwin1978
I wonder if I should bother phoning them for RMA if all they'll tell me is do it online. That's what it says on their website.

My damn. The previous board I purchased from them was a Shuttle AK32L; a budget board. That came in perfect condition. Now, I paid good money for this relatively old MSI board, and I can't help but feel I made a mistake.

Keep in mind that it was pure chance that you received that system board, newegg has an untold number of those system boards at their warehouse, and it's just pure chance that the newegg guy pulled that one off the shelf and sent it to you. I don't think they're trying to nail some sucker by purposefully sending them rejected products.

If they do have untold number of gooped mobos, then they shouldn't be on the same pile as the good ones. I'd buy gooped mobos if they were advertised as used.

Tomorrow I shall give them a piece of my mind.:dead: It's time to put an end to slimed mobos.

Yeh definately tell them whats up, don't take anything less than what you want. I recently almost had to deal with this issue a week ago. My really nice 17" monitor died, luckily I had Best Buy's 3 year performance plan ( I don't normally buy extended warranties, but I did in this case cause it was such a nice monitor and I was only buying it because my old one died). Turns out Best Buy doesn't carry my monitor anymore, so I couldn't exchange it, I went in there with the mindset that there was no way in hell I was accepting one of thier 17" monitors that could only do 1280x1024 @ 60hz, when the one I brought them was capable of 1920x1440. Right now Philips is fixing my monitor, sure I have to wait a bit, but at least I don't come home with something I didn't want.

Used != new

Don't let them screw you. :giddy:

If you paid with a credit card, you could get the payment refunded through your credit card company. I think the time limit is 30 days.

Good luck. :D

Don't consider it an RMA.. Consider a complaint first. If your complaint is successful, THEN it will be an RMA. Use the phone at al costs.. Do NOT e-mail the company. Calling them by phone adds a lot of pressure and if you pressure the right people, you have a much greater chance of getting your story across and getting your way.

I've called NewEgg once to RMA a product. They were really nice and accepted the RMA even though it was a few days passed their special RMA policy... They didn't even ask about it. I've heard other people say many good things about their customer service as well for returns etc..

I've purchased from them several times but I've never had to call their customer service.
I agree with Rick; you should call them and tell them that you would like to exchange the motherboard for a new one.

RMA approved. Does newegg ship the replacement item right away or do they wait until I return mine?

If you paid with a credit card, they might replace the item right away. I'm not sure though. Most likely, you will have to wait.

Back